• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M215 questions

armytruck63

Hello,

I have my eye on a GMC M215 dump truck. I have owned several M35A2's over the years and now have one parked next to my house, but I love the M211 GMC's. It was the first MV I was introduced to back in the mid '70's.

Here are a couple of general questions about these trucks:

1. What is the honest road speed of an unloaded M211 or M215 on level ground? I've driven a CCKW (43 mph) and an M37 (48 to 50 mph). Where I live some freeway driving is a must, so 50 mph would be nice. I usually cruise the M35A2 at about 53 mph. Slow hills are expected.

2. Does the automatic transmission allow you to hold the truck back in say 2nd or 3rd gear when going down a grade? I'm not talking about a grade so steep that you have to decend in low range.

3. How is the ride? My wife has a bad back, so it's hard to talk her into riding in the M35A2.

4. Is ther anything else you can tell me about these trucks, other than how cool they are?

Thank you very much.:razz:

M215

Hello Armytruck63
I have owned our little M215 for 8 years and love it.

1. Flat level ground 45 mph, with a tail wind you can zoom up to 50 mph. I rarely run my truck over 45 , after all its 56 yrs old.

2. Standard auto will select the gear for you. We have a Memphis REB shift kit installed in ours, this allows you to select and hold the gear you want. Sort of like a manual shift w /o a clutch. This works great, costs $450 to add to the tranny.

3. Much nicer ride than an M35a2, more comfortable steering wheel angle also. Not too loud the muffler keeps the noise down, but wear ear protection on longer trips.

4. Most parts are available, some are getting harder to find. The hydramatic tranny makes some folks uneasy, I have had some problems, these were caused by a defective rebuild. I trust ours to go any where, just don't be in any hurry.

Hope this helps, Karl

M215

Citizensoldier,
Try Wigington Surplus in Piedmont SC 864-859-2692
Be patient when you call, the owner is very difficult to understand (stroke?), but is a very nice gentleman to deal with. At one time he had NOS complete windsheild frames complete (inner & outer) w / glass and all rubber for $150. I purchased the last one in a box, but he had several that were out of boxes.
Good luck, Karl

armytruck63

Karl,
Thanks for the response. I will have to do a bit of "horse trading" to get the M215 I have my eye on, but we'll see what happens. Another benefit I hadn't thought of until today - my wife could drive the M215 in an emergency. I doubt she could manage the M35A2. She drives my M1009 Blazer to events sometimes.

Thanks again for the information.
Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks