• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M274 Questions

conny

Guys,
I have read the mule does 25mph and others state 35mph. Which is true?
Can the gears be changed to allow a faster speed? Been told yes and others no.
Does it have seat belts or can they be added without drilling holes in the bed?

Only mules I ever saw were at Aberdeen Show but the gentleman was very busy and I didn't have time to ask him.

Thank you.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember right, it is about 25 MPH. You don't want to go faster. Remember other than the tires, there is no suspension.

JDToumanian

As it is, 25 mph on a mule is scary fast. If you want to go faster, make sure your wife has plenty of life insurance on you, especially if you have kids. Maybe a personal injury / disability plan too.

Jon

mulman7

25 mph is correct an a way to make it go faster is set the governor top speed higher or mount 27 inch tall tires. The 27 inch tires are about the limit for steering. i mounted 27-8.50 x 15 STG tires on special 15 inch wheels. Speed is not your friend especially in 4 wheel steering with worn tie rod ends. The only suspension is tire inflation. If cruising without a load I run at 4psi and always use tubes because I live in a heavily wooded area and barking into trees and stumps can unseat beads.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was clocked doing 24mph on a flat new hardball to see how fast I could get one going and it was a much fun as I could take without having to change underwear. Only held that speed for seconds and was wearing a complete moto X protective outfit. The mule really becomes unstable around 20mph and any bump at speed gets it acting erratic. Oh and if you have one with and in 4 wheel steer 15 is really pushing it.

mulman7

Guys,
I have read the mule does 25mph and others state 35mph. Which is true?
Can the gears be changed to allow a faster speed? Been told yes and others no.
Thank you.
Yes a Gear change is possible. But you can only lower the ratio using M274 gears in the A1, A2, A4 and A5 transmission producing a slower top end speed.

The M274 transmission can have the higher speed gears installed giving a 10% greater speed at 4000 rpm using the AO53 engine.

Ground Speed According to C1, TM -7105-35 for governed speed:

The m274 with the AO53 at 4000 governed rpm delivered a ground speed of 25 mph

The M274-A1 with the AO53-1 at 3650 governed rpm delivered a ground speed of 25 mph

Go to G503 Mule Technical and the M274 Post. On page 2 I Posted the transmission differences between the M274 and M274-A1 [same as the A2, A4 and A5] gears

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=261325

To maintain the 25 mph due to the lower governed rpm of the A1, A2, A4 and A5 the Main Shaft and Intermediate Shaft had different teeth count for the engaging gears producing 10% higher gearing.

The M274 Main Shaft has 20 teeth and the Intermediate Shaft has 36 teeth

The M274 A1, A2, A4 and A5 Main Shaft has 22 teeth and the Intermediate Shaft has 34 teeth.

I built an A2 transmission with the M274 gears to produce a lower ratio. I know that 10% on 1st Low is not as noticeable as 3rd High but it worked well.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I recently mounted 395s on mine and put the 1500hp turbine engine in it. Gives me a top speed of just under Mach 2.

mulman7

When we hear form heaven it is usually Deity now we have heard from a mortal that crossed over at Mach 2 on his mule.

A very interesting tag at the bottom of your posts I had to search and found that it was Churchill's broadcast in french on 21 Oct 1940

Last edited:

Mills

I purchased 4 septer diesel tanks from you off eBay. One cap leaks. You said you were going to send out a replacement but I see you pulled the post. What's up?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks