• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M348 Camper conversion

Jakelc15

I've had this thing for a while and haven't done too much with it.
I finally did a little work and took it camping recenty.
I took some pictures and everyone here loves pictures so I thought I'd share.

Rays Taj has been a huge inspiration as well as some other trailer and shop van conversions.

Here's pretty much how I got it.
uploadfromtaptalk1404048389103.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404048447360.jpg

All the wires had been cut so I had to remove all the old and start new. Added power batteries and a tool box.
uploadfromtaptalk1404048562609.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404048575199.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404048585779.jpg

Here's my scale drawing of what I hope it to look like when it's finished. Gonna be slow though. And I'm open to suggestions.
uploadfromtaptalk1404048679785.jpg

RAYZER

That's awesome Jake and thanks for the props!
I like the the floor plan you have layed out, the floor step up in front makes a perfect area for the main bed area!
One challenge I had when building the "Taj" was where to place all systems inside (toilet/tub plumbing and wiring) to coenside with all systems mounted underneath (holding tanks, batterys, propane, plumbing, etc), it looks like your off to a good start!
Is this trailer the same size as a m373?
Good luck with your build!

Jakelc15

The M373 should be the same size. I think the M373 replaced the M348
I think I know where the water tanks and toilet are going to fit. I was thinking of using ABS 55 gal barrels for the black and grey water tanks. The propane tanks are not so easy to going a place for. Accessibility and safety are hard to mount under a trailer.

Jakelc15

My next goal is to add roof top vents. I'd also like to add windows but I'm not sure if I want to install black out windows or standard rv windows.

Jakelc15

Yeah, while camping last time I woke up to use the bathroom thinking it was about 0400. Till I opened the door and saw the sun was high and a kid riding their bike in the street. It was actual closer to 0900!
But it was great, my kids slept in too.

RAYZER

Yeah, while camping last time I woke up to use the bathroom thinking it was about 0400. Till I opened the door and saw the sun was high and a kid riding their bike in the street. It was actual closer to 0900!
But it was great, my kids slept in too.
In my opinion, windows in a camper are a must, when I'm out camping I want to be able to look outside at the surroundings! You can always put shades on the inside to block light.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M348A2 trailers are very handy. The 11' height does make for less worry when on side roads/off road. My M373A2 is 4' longer.

Attachments

Jakelc15

There is a 12' 2" railroad bridge near me that I go under almost everyday. I'm glad I don't have to go around it when I pull the trailer.
And I have a little room for these.
uploadfromtaptalk1404143063778.jpg

Jakelc15

I'm out in mine right now!
Put the other vent in. Starting to pull wires for the 12v wiring. Also started installing the solar stuff. But it looks like it's gonna rain. I also have a awning to install while I'm on the roof.
My wife started painting the outside. Priming the steel. Once I'm done cutting holes in the roof I'm going to coat it with the elastomeric paint designed for RVs.
uploadfromtaptalk1405265429640.jpg

Jakelc15

I put up a shelf and under mounted a 12v car radio with a couple speakers. Nice to play music.
Got a little more painting done and also checked the brake system. I need to bleed them still, it takes a while using the trolley valve as soldier B!

I'll probably be going camping again in a few weeks and hope to get a few more things done before then.

Jakelc15

Put up a screen door, as seen on TV, works well. We'll see how it holds up to my kids.
uploadfromtaptalk1406389443424.jpg

Put the solar panels on the roof, 3 50w panels so far. Using a morningstar prostar controller. So far they keep the batteries topped off even with lights and radio on. I unplugged from shore power, gonna see how self sufficient it is.
uploadfromtaptalk1406389641655.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks