• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Fuel Pump

SturmTyger380

I was parts picking the other day but not for the M35. The guy had a M35 fuel pump laying on a shelf among some other parts. I asked him if the pump was good. It looks almost new with some shelf wear on it. He said take it and try it and if it works then pay me. We are good friends so I brought the pump home.

So I tested it outside the tank by quickly touching the power lead to the positive cable of this 24 volt battery lash up I keep to test stuff. I had the negative clamped to the ground point.

The pump sounded like a blender and made a rattle noise. I took the power off. Is this pump bad or is there a better way to test it?

Alan

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its hard to say with out being there. If its dry, I could see it being a bit noisy, but sounding like a blender- I dunno. Maybe try spraying it with some wd40 and trying again.

Noise is not good.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have the motor part driving the pump part with a magnetic coupler. Because the motor runs, does not mean its pumping. So test it in fuel with a hose on it. Its worth the time. BE CAREFUL.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Make sure to point it where it's okay for lots of fuel to go.

Don't ask me how I figured this out.

welldigger

If its making a marble in a blender sound then that tells me the impeller is turning. I would be more concerned with the amp draw of the motor.

welldigger

None of the new ones that I have purchased from ebay made anything but a whirring sound.
Ok, maybe not every pump that uses an impeller. But its not uncommon for a dry pump with a floating impeller to make racket. When its dry the impeller will slap around in the housing. When there is fuel present in the housing it lubricates and stabilizes the impeller. I wouldn't be surprised if it quiets down after pumping some liquid.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to use fuel for testing.

Water would be fine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been thinning it with baby seal bone marrow, in this cold weather.

So far, so good!

SturmTyger380

Okay will do with some diesel. Maybe this weekend as we are getting ready for another dive in the temperature.

The M35 had a 10 am slow blow fuse in the line going to the current pump in the tank. The fuse was blown. A 10 amp seems high for a pump.

Alan

JCKnife

Why fool with a questionable fuel pump when like-new ones can still be had for $50?

Last edited:

SturmTyger380

Well a bit of good news. Once it got above 30F outside we took the fuel pump assembly out of the tank. Found the hose disconnected at the top end. The pump looks brand new. We tested it and it ran fine so we put a new clamp on the hose. Once back in the tank we put a 7 amp slow blow fuse in. The M35 runs great and now has more power.

Alan

olbucksnort

If your doing the whirling sound check with Bad Hearing then what?
I installed a second tank on my Bobber and thought I herd the "Whirling" sound.
Now with full tank of Fuel I can't hear a thing. The #1 tank being transferred to doesn't show it's being filled.
There is 25.8 vdc going to the plug and the pump checks for good working ground but,
I'm wondering how many Ohm's the pump should show ?
Well " If something can go wrong it usually will"
So I'll drive around till something shakes loose (in the fuel pump pickup).
Glad to see everyone again next week at the Aberdeen Rally.

olbucksnort

Ahh Yea. No Pumpy da' Fuel. pulled the little block off plug behind the fuel output block. Na-da-ting.
Oh Kay time to find a replacement Pump or.... Wait for Murphy's Law to fade out.
I might try and prime the line w/ Trany Fluid just to see if that encourages it.
More than likely start hunting for a cheep replacement .

rustystud

Ahh Yea. No Pumpy da' Fuel. pulled the little block off plug behind the fuel output block. Na-da-ting.
Oh Kay time to find a replacement Pump or.... Wait for Murphy's Law to fade out.
I might try and prime the line w/ Trany Fluid just to see if that encourages it.
More than likely start hunting for a cheep replacement .
The fuel pumps do not need priming ! Take it out and look at it. It might just be a bad fuel hose. If it is get a "full immersion" diesel rated hose. Anything else will rot and you'll have the same problem again real soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks