• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Rear Window

rivired

On my m35's hardtop..the rear window assembly is a rusty mess...i undid all like..20 of the lil screws from the back...can i get the entire assembly out?

from the look of the inside it doesn't look hopeful for me..

i cant even figure out how to get teh glass frames out.

any help would be great..or a link ot TM that would help..i searched and couldn't find anything

thanks for any info!!

spentshell

I had the same problem with the rust on my widows and frame, make sure the weep holes on the bottom of the frame are clean. I put my frame in a abrasive blaster to clean out the drain holes. The frame assembly should shimmy out from the back part of the top without to much trouble, as for the glass you haved to loosen two set screws that hold a piece of steel that aligns the seam of the frame. I used a small punch to free them up. If the drip ledge above the window was a little bigger it would probably would solve some of this problem.

MasterChief

I am "new" to this "posting" thing so please excuse me.
I am looking for a rear window for my hard top M35A2.
My glass is good - but the frame is rusted to heck.
I have had no luck searching for replacement.
Any ideas or leads ....?

Thank you

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am "new" to this "posting" thing so please excuse me.
I am looking for a rear window for my hard top M35A2.
My glass is good - but the frame is rusted to heck.
I have had no luck searching for replacement.
Any ideas or leads ....?

Thank you
Your probably going to have to buy the whole panel.

MasterChief

Thanks for the fast reply!

I thought so - I figured I probably would have th buy the frame & glass as a unit.

Question is: Do you know anyone selling?

Since my glass is good , my other option is to use about 3 tubes of silicone caulk around the perimeter untill I find a replacement.

Thanks!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bumped this post, I'm in the same situation. My window is toast so I'm looking for a replacement. Anybody seen anyone selling rear windows? Any commercial windows out there that will fit? Thanks.

rolling18

be careful about how much you clean out!!
I did the same thing cleaned out all the old rust and junk.
I did this SOO well my windows (both sides) wont even stay closed anymore, I wish I had not cleaned it out so well:???:
can you even get replacement track lining?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
be careful about how much you clean out!!
I did the same thing cleaned out all the old rust and junk.
I did this SOO well my windows (both sides) wont even stay closed anymore, I wish I had not cleaned it out so well:???:
can you even get replacement track lining?
I'm looking at replacing not cleaning.

SoundGuy

Me too. I was going to try to make something. Not to hijack this, but are both windows supposed to be able to move? I can only move my driver side windows. It moves good now, but I had to tap it with a mallet when I first got it. I hit the other side with a hammer and still no go.

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

I saw a post some where about a guy that took a sliding window out of a S-10 pickup or blazer and just cut the back of the deuce to make it fit. He got much better visibility in my opinion. Something I would consider. Go to a junk yard and find one, then cut the back of the deuce to the same size and just pop it in with the proper rubber strip.

This of course would not work if you are planning to keep your truck all original.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumping this back up rather than posting a new thread.

So I found a nice piece of new 1/4" plexiglas, and I'm thinking of just putting that in as a solid piece. Anyone know of a way to bend flat steel stock (or aluminum) so that it makes a flat frame around the window edge? (on the wide aspect) If I could just make a couple of those I could just use some silicone caulk to seal the plexiglas with the metal frame to sandwich the plexiglas in place.

Jeepsinker

John, check out some Rv/ camper windows. You should be able to find one that fits. That's all the original deuce rear window is, but from an oldscool camper. You may have to find camper trailer graveyard. If you do go with the plexi I think you can find some small aluminum channel almost like window screen frame at a hardware store that may work.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both sides of the rear window should slide. Try some PB Blaster around it to break it loose.
Uh, the rust is what's holding it together. The original frame is shot, and unless I buy a whole new hard top, I haven't seen any windows for sale by themselves. One place listed some, but their inventory was wrong.

MasterChief

Thanks to all, John S-B, Jeepsinker, etc.

In my case indeed rust is the only thing holding it in place.

Since my M35A2 is bobbed, I am not concerned about originality.
I will try & use your ideas, do some cutting and install a sliding window from a pick up truck.
I will post details on project as I progress.

Thank you to all.

Master Chief

MasterChief

To : Flyingvan911 & everyone else-

I have been looking for two years for a "a damaged/rusted out hardtop with a good window.".
Best I could find junker was too much $.
$500 project for a rear window? ( + shipping)
Have tried usual part sources - all dozen of them.

I am going to look into this "pick-up truck" sliding window idea.
Cut some metal - get a great working window?
I can do this for under $100
To do this "stock military" ... will cost me over $600. IF I can find it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks