• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 wiper motor questions

Lax

Since super storm Sandy is coming for dinner I thought I should do a pre-flight check on my M35. My passenger side wiper motor has stripped the nut off the shaft and the wiper just sits while the motor seems to work fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get this working by Monday night?

I have a stand-alone 12 V system in my truck I use for lights, etc. so I could switch to a 12V system and I do have one or two old stock (air) wiper motors that I have kept for parts if that helps. Or should I just try to buy and have a new stock (air) motor sent to me by Tuesday morning? Thanks everyone.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt the lack of a passenger side wiper will be a life and death matter.

Just put a used on on, and let your passenger hand operate it, if it's needed.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Since I have had the m819 (7/04) the right one has been MIA , till I start driving the BRITSH way it may stay MIA, I have a new one, just not very high on my to do list.

Lax

Its not a real big deal at I look at the passenger wiper motor as a built in "backup" should the driver one stop so I like to have both working. I'm still trying to figure this out.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always open the window. Not like you'll be going fast in a storm.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You can always open the window. Not like you'll be going fast in a storm.
This is true, besides on most trucks, there is at least 3/4 of the outside water on the inside anyway, this is why wet weather gear is part of the BII

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just giving you some "alternate" suggestions, to keep you from spending more than needed(to overnight parts)

I doubt an in-op wiper motor would deadline a truck, in combat...:p

m35a2cowner

wiper

If your going to replace it, try drilling a small hole in the wiper arm ( from top of arm to bottom, along side of the wiper motor shaft). Get a self tapping metal screw and screw it in there to lock the arm and shaft together. Doesn't cost anything to try.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good idea about drilling the shaft. I was going to ask, which part was stripped? The little splines or the threads, that the jam nut screws onto. I bet that would work, and it wouldn't take long to try it.

3dAngus

This is another project I was working on today. Didn't get very far. The rubber lines were cut inside the cab. I looked under the hood, and it appears the hardline goes to the air breather. HUH?
So I go back in the cab, put my finger over the hardline where the rubber hose was taken off, and I cannot feel suction nor pumped in air. Not sure which I am suppossed to get yet. Anyway, Hooray. I get to find out about windshield wipers too.

How much you wanna bet I end up installing electric ones before I get this fixed.

Lax

Thanks guys. I was thinking of drilling and pinning the knurled end/nut too since I have nothing to loose. When I went out today to double check the motor I noticed the red button was pushed in and stuck so with that in the motor wont work anyway. I have to figure a way to get that back out. Small drill and screw then pull it out?? Any ideas?? Thanks.

Ford Mechanic

One of my civiy wipers fell off on the way to fill up the gas cans on Saturday before the storm. The wife said "What was that? I hope it wasn't important." ME "Crap we lost a wiper":p

Ford Mechanic

You would be laughing harder if you could have seen her face when it happened....It sounded like we hit a seagullrofl

Thanks JCKnife for reposting that I ordered a replacement today

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks