• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 additional alternator

Racky

Hi all

I want to run some 12v stuff on my truck. I will mount the additional single wire 100 amp alternator above the stock one. Instead of mounting a additional battery I was going to connect the additional alt and power point to the stock battery at the 12v point. My question is has any body done this before? All ideas welcome.

Thanks
Racky

m109guy

Or you can save yourself a heap of trouble and just install a 24v to 12v converter like I did. That way you can also use it with the truck off, unlike an additional alternator where the truck must always be running to supply 12v power.

The one I got is 20amps, but the company makes them up to 60amps if you really need a lot of amperage for some reason. It is also completely waterproof and runs with heat sinks, so there is no need for a fan to cool the unit (ie. installing a fan would leave a opening for water/moisture to get in). Cost me $100 brand new.

Last edited:

Racky

The inverter idea is not good for me. I will be installing a 12V electric hydraulic pump for a dump conversion. I read about switching out the 12V solenoid for a 24V one and just using it that way. Somebody said that they pulled the voltage at the 12V point between the batteries and had issues with the batterys not charging right. I also would like to add some off road lights, electric brake controller maybe even a radio.I was just thinking that if installed the alt and charged the one battery I could get away with it.

Thanks
Racky

m109guy

Oh ya, if you are doing all of that, you will need to go with the 12v alternator. When you said that you wanted to run stuff off 12v, I thought you just meant a few lights, and maybe something like a GPS.

Good luck with the install!

datsunaholic

You do NOT want to run a 12V alternator and hook it up to the middle. It would cause a MASSIVE inbalance, and it WILL backcharge the other battery, killing it very shortly. Probably destroy the regulators in both alternators as well. If the 24V alternator/generator were to fail with this setup, you would probably have a battery explode.

You really have only 3 options:

1) Use a 24V-12V converter as said above
2) Use a battery balancer and just tap off the middle (which isn't much different than #1)
3) Hook up the 12V alternator with a dedicated 12V battery

Then there's #4... get a 24V hydraulic pump. I know they exist because that's what we have on our raceboat trailers (tilt trailer).

I am running the Factory setup on the duece and and 2 6v in series(12v) golf cart batts for my camper area. Solar probably wont keep up and I think the optimal will be to run a dedicated 12V alternator to my truck for this setup. I vote option 3

graf_222

Alternator mount

I mounted my 12 volt alternator right above the stock 24 volt. I used longer belts and a replacement double pulley from a IH 966 tractor. The alternator seems to fit well in that place and so far neither pulley slips even though there is much less belt contact on the 24 volt pulley.

Attachments

Racky

graff 222 nice alt mount. Im in the middle of making a similar one I just using a 100 amp 1 wire alt instead. Datsonaholic I think Ill have to buy one more battery. Thanks guys all input appreciated.

Racky

tm america

save yourself the headache and just run the pump off of 24 volt
s it will run faster cooler and hold up better than it would on 12 volts.just make sure you run 24 volt relays.i have been running mine for over five years with no problems and i work the heck out the truck. i got the idea from the low rider shop near my job they say they run 12 volt pumps on 48 volts and more its the only way they can get the volume to make the cars hop like they do.they said they never have problems with the pumps holding up

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you really want 12v get one of Headwizard's 24-12 converters. They will maintain a battery @ 12v and put out 30amps. No muss no fuss just run some wire and stash a battery.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about just getting a dual output HMMWV alternator? I got one from TIm n' Trucks for $100, and plan to install it in my M109 for camper power and other 12vdc applications. It will fit right in the original spot, and all you have to do is take a standard alternator pully and bore it out a bit. The shaft on the duel output is larger.

GENERATING SYSTEM OPERATION (100 AMPERE DUAL VOLTAGE ALTERNATOR)

And if you read line item H, it seems that it does charge just one battery out of the set with the 16vdc...

I'm planning on putting two 6v cart batteries under the box, or, one deep cycle optima in the forward part of the tool box. I haven't decided yet.

ETHOS

you should get a 3rd battery, a car battery and add an alternator, the battery should not be connected in any way to the 2 batteries used for the trucks 24 volt system.......

frankenstein

has anyone else had trouble with wolverine technologies?

i sent them $450 money order for a duel alt setup and ive only received my bottom 24v alt. ive been waiting weeks now and still no 12v alt. ive called 20+ times. ive sent multiple emails and still no response. can anyone please help me. Or am i beat for $200= dollars?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
we did get a dual set from him this summer, it had some mild damage (bent) to the fan(?) that mounts behind the pulley. Offered to replace it myself if he sent me a new one, so far he hasn't. He also does not reply to emails very often. They came w/ no parts list or install instructions, still trying to get that.
I'm sure if I wanted to I could spend a some of my rare "spare time" and figure it out myself.:x But if I spend that much money on something I expect it to come w/ instructions. If I wanted to figure it out I would start from scratch and do it my way and not pay big $$$'s.

Last edited:

JasonS

You do NOT want to run a 12V alternator and hook it up to the middle. It would cause a MASSIVE inbalance, and it WILL backcharge the other battery, killing it very shortly. Probably destroy the regulators in both alternators as well. If the 24V alternator/generator were to fail with this setup, you would probably have a battery explode.
you should get a 3rd battery, a car battery and add an alternator, the battery should not be connected in any way to the 2 batteries used for the trucks 24 volt system.......

Has anyone really thought about this or is this just wild speculation?????

You are taking a 12 Volt alternator and connecting it to a 12V battery. Why would it cause "MASSIVE" imbalance? This will improve balance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks