• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Battery Cable Size(s) & Lengths...

archmark

While checking out the batteries on my M185A3 today, I noticed that some, if not all the cables coming into and exiting the battery box are dry, cracked, frayed and probably not too long for the world. I've read on the site to use 2/0 welding cable for replacement, but is that size for all the cables or ? Also, is there anywhere in the TMs that tells or does anybody know the required lengths needed for all the cables. I'd rather get a set made up prior to removing the old ones instead of taking them all off and taking them in and then hoping that I get everything corrected back up correctly.

Yeah, I know the drill about taking lots of pictures prior to disassembling anything to provide a clue as to how to put everything back together, but I'm admittedly lazy.

Thanks...

Mark

dmetalmiki

Changed a few of mine in the past. And estimating with the cord did the trick as a few inches over is not going to hurt. I used welding cables as well for the (usually missing) jump start sockets.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced mine and, indeed, used 2/0 welding cable which sells here for about $5 per foot. It is a good time to add a battery cutoff switch, if you do not have one, yet. 8ft should be plenty.
I used the hammer-on copper lugs for the ends and it worked just fine. I understand that some distrust them for welding purposes, but it appears that they work just fine for battery cables.
The battery cables that I pulled out had damage to the protective jacket and one was almost worn through. I read the article about the truck that caught fire due to electrical arcing - and without a battery shutoff that you can reach, you are likely up the creek, paddling with your hands.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be NSNs in the -P parts manual. Grab those and search them on parttarget. 99% of the time they will list the lengths.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since no one seems to have the sizes and lengths handy and you have a great title of the thread for searching . Please post the sizes and length of the cables as you replace them to help other members in the future.

Jeepsinker

The larger the cable you use, the more efficient the current transfer. In other words, with larger cable you should be able to crank longer on lower batteries before total drain I it comes down to it. It is just easier on the whole system with properly sized or oversized cable.

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an old thread that I’m digging up, but I was searching and stumbled across it, looking for the same answers as the OP. If anyone else is looking for specifics, here it is. What I’ve learned is:
All the NSNs and cable lengths are found in TM 9-2320-209-20P. I found the gauge by looking up the NSNs.

All battery cables “lead, battery” in military jargon, were 0 AWG, or “single aught”.
Ground cable, from battery neg terminal to frame is 26”.
The inter-battery connector cable (pos to neg posts) is 6-3/4”.
The cable from the battery to starter solenoid is 67”.
The cable from battery to solenoid is 70”.

Hope that helps someone at some time. For my own purposes, while replacing damaged insulation and adding a cut off switch, I’ll probably go to 00 to reduce resistance.

ToddJK

That's what I did. I went with 00 gauge wire and it's definitely heavy duty. Don't remember who I got it from but it wasn't cheap either and I got six feet of it which was just enough to go from the batteries to my shutoff switch.

archmark

I know this is an old thread that I’m digging up, but I was searching and stumbled across it, looking for the same answers as the OP. If anyone else is looking for specifics, here it is. What I’ve learned is:
All the NSNs and cable lengths are found in TM 9-2320-209-20P. I found the gauge by looking up the NSNs.

All battery cables “lead, battery” in military jargon, were 0 AWG, or “single aught”.
Ground cable, from battery neg terminal to frame is 26”.
The inter-battery connector cable (pos to neg posts) is 6-3/4”.
The cable from the battery to starter solenoid is 67”.
The cable from battery to solenoid is 70”.

Hope that helps someone at some time. For my own purposes, while replacing damaged insulation and adding a cut off switch, I’ll probably go to 00 to reduce resistance.
THANKS RNB, now I'm motivated to get back to work on the old girl. I think McMaster-Carr is the place to get the wire & connectors.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
THANKS RNB, now I'm motivated to get back to work on the old girl. I think McMaster-Carr is the place to get the wire & connectors.
Please buy from me instead of McMaster-Carr. I have reels of high quality copper welding cable and J1127 battery cable on hand as well as the specialty tools to hydraulically crimp the lugs. I'll custom make a set to your specifications and send you a crimped finished kit for less than McMaster-Carr will charge you for the components....

archmark

Please buy from me instead of McMaster-Carr. I have reels of high quality copper welding cable and J1127 battery cable on hand as well as the specialty tools to hydraulically crimp the lugs. I'll custom make a set to your specifications and send you a crimped finished kit for less than McMaster-Carr will charge you for the components....
WILL DO 98G!!!

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks