• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 Brake Light question

Bigsbetter

My brake lights increase in brightness the harder you push on the brake pedal. The voltage going into the pressure switch which is on the hydraulic side is 24-25 volts. Coming out of the pressure switch can range from 5 volts to 24 volts(depending how hard you press the pedal) and this is what the bulbs see. Is this normal? I would rather my brake lights come on FULLY bright like a normal car even if I’m just lightly applying brakes.

williamh

It sounds like someone has installed a pressure sender like you would use on a gauge instead of a pressure switch (simple on/off).
I would replace the sender , it should be an on and off switch , lower voltages could cause a higher amperage issue ( lower volts=higher amps) and cause premature lamp failure. Plus I’ve never heard of a reostat (variable output switch for break lights )? I’m only pushing on the breaks s little do I only need a little red light. Not like laying on them and now it’s twice as bright. ( burning out bulbs ?). My 2 c. 2cents

Bigsbetter

It sounds like someone has installed a pressure sender like you would use on a gauge instead of a pressure switch (simple on/off).
That’s what I need to know. I’m a mechanic by trade, BUT I don’t know how these machines operate. Is it supposed to be a on/off switch and not a gradual pressure switch??
I would replace the sender , it should be an on and off switch , lower voltages could cause a higher amperage issue ( lower volts=higher amps) and cause premature lamp failure. Plus I’ve never heard of a reostat (variable output switch for break lights )? I’m only pushing on the breaks s little do I only need a little red light. Not like laying on them and now it’s twice as bright. ( burning out bulbs ?). My 2 c. 2cents
thanks guys, I didn’t think it seemed correct. I’ll look for the right switch and replace it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's busted. Save some money and don't replace the stock one. Get an air side switch and convert it to that. I think Big Mike has them. I replaced my busted hydraulic one and it failed again a few hundred miles later. Waste of money. Air side switch has worked fine since.
PLEASE go and do as @KN6KXR recommends. It eliminates the hydraulically operated switch as a failure point for the single circuit hydraulic brakes as well. The OEM switches can break the bakelite/composite center and leak brake fluid.
Converting to an air pressure switch on the air side is not complicated and not much more expensive than a replacement hydraulic switch (the correct one; not the ones from NAPA for cars that cannot handle the pressure in a Deuce hydraulic system).

More info: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/updated-brake-switch.69170/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks