• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Chip Truck

Peyton92

Good Evening Steel Soldiers,

I am hear today to consult with the Internet's leading pool of M35A2 knowledge. I live in Oliver Springs, TN and am looking to take a productive turn in my tree company. In the beginning I was looking for a used f-450/f-550 to convert into a dump as my designated chip truck, but have recently considered using a m35. The company I am looking into buying from is Memphis equipment. The price I have been quoted is $14,500 for the refurbished m35, $3,500 for the 12ft dump installation, $1,500 for a fleet paint color, $2,500 for a 24v-to-12v conversion and $3,600 for new hydraulic power steering . . . coming out to $25,600.

From what I understand, these trucks were rated for 5,000 lbs. off road and 10,000 on road. That 12 ft. dump assembly will more than likely weigh 2,500 lbs-3000 lbs. Will I still be able to put 10,000 lbs in that dump bed? The 2.5 ton dump trucks used by the military were still rated for 10,000 lbs weren't they (forgive my ignorance)?

Regarding the brakes, I will be using this truck for my business. I would love to have a split brake system on this truck. How practical is that? Would you recommend the (2nd air pack*) install or do you think the single system would be sufficient? Stopping distance will be noted and observed, but I am self-proclaimed safety officer. I don't like taking chances.

What experience do you all have with Memphis equipment? $25,600 is a lot of money to drop on a truck that is 40-50 years old. The majority of my jobs are between 10-30 miles from home base. I can handle the lack of fuel efficiency, noise, lack of comfort and poor ride. I am more concerned with this trucks ability to 8,000-10,000 lbs 2-3 days a week. I know maintenance is key,

Can I finance a new $60,000 f-450 . . . yeah. Do I want to . . . no. Do you think the m35A2 would be a good choice for me? If not . . . why?

P.S. a 3,000 lb. Bandit wood chipper (with brakes) would be pulled behind the m35A2. At most I would be looking at 13,000 lb base weight, 2,500-3,000 lb dump assembly, 10,000 lbs of wood chips and a 3,000 wood chipper. Can the M35A2 handle the additional 16,000 lbs (dump, chips and chipper)?

Best,

Samuel

Last edited:

jasonjc

I don't think you will be happy in the long run. With a 450/550 you have less maintenance and easier to come by parts. Unless you are chipping way out in the woods in BFE. If I had your business I would look at other trucks. That's my $0.02.

A quick look at truck trader found this https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2014-International-Terrastar--5000208994

Here's another https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2013-Ford-F450--5000365858

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2010-International-4300--122738492

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
jasonjc gives good advice.
Placing a heavy duty tactical military truck in daily service could work, but why.
You need no downtime. The truck has to work. This is for your business which is not pleasure use.
In commercial service one would find few that wanted to work on your M35A2,
aggravating the downtime and generally costing more.
Another point to make is your insurance may not take kindly to a single system brake system.
I often goto
https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/category/207/heavy-duty-trucks
and look at all the trucks for sale, dedicated vehicles for a particular job. Lots of good stuff out there.
And this is not the only truck selling place around.
In a search one could find a 2004 C7500 dump chipper for 11K in Covington.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally I think it's an excellent choice if you don't have to go on the interstate or highway that you would need to go over 50 mph. I sold one to the onion farm in NY and he uses a fleet of them very successfully. I like the 12' bed and the sides do not fold down, so are stronger than ones that fold.

I have a 97 M35A3 with 9k miles and a completely rebuilt tranny for sale. The Caterpillar 3116 runs great. It already has the dual circuit brakes and assisted steering, also new seats and new drivers door with window. I'll even provide a tranny mounted PTO/pump for the lift as the A3 ran hydraulics off the back of the compressor (which I do not like).

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
All good opinions, I think you all answered the OP's question.

That onion farm, Minkus, has a standard buy order for M35A3 trucks.
And they make excellent drone videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMZnn-i9DHw

He also said or inferred He can't get anybody to drive a stick good.
That "drowned land" they are working is some of the best black dirt there is. Watch the machines replace 40,000 people working.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool video. I saw at least one A2 in there. I like seeing M35s still working, but not working too hard. Those onion trucks should last for a long time.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frank, Yea, great people! Notice the duals on the rear? If I were on hard pavement most of the time, I'd go to 11.00 duals and 365/80R20 fronts. They match very close on rev/mile. If he runs different size in the muck, it won't matter, but on 95% pavement, they should be close. Pucker up for a new 365/80R20 aka 14.5R20 however.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weak part of the M35A3 is the transmissions, but from a parts availability standpoint, not strength in service. It seems the OEM tranny, an Allison 1545 was only made for the A3 and it featured a locking torque converter mated to the very popular Allison 545. Since the entire run of A3's was only about 5600, there are no spare parts available when talking to a tranny shop.

Seems the hydraulic seals on the clutch pack, especially the fourth/reverse, have premature wear problems on all of them of that vintage. The seals begin to leak and the clutch pressure drops, which then leads to heating of the clutch frictions and steels. They get hot enough to melt the AL piston that pushes against them. Over time this problem got worse as the OEM failure is virtually assured due to a poor seal that all of them had. A3 got a bad reputation over this issue.

New seal materials have solved the problem. And the 1545 uses all of the internal parts of the 545, except those associated with the locking torque converter. Therein lies the problem. Locking torque converters and the mating oil pump are not readily available. They are rare due to the fact so few were ever made for this one model. Dave Minkus and I had the discussion.

On their farm, the switch to a 545 without the locking torque converter seems to be a step they will eventually have to take. I don't recall if he said how many with the locking TC were original on his trucks, but over time they will fail. A preemptive approach, rebuilding before they have destroyed the clutch pack or planning to replace with a non-locking 545, should be part of maintenance plans for commercial use.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peyton that is just plain TO MUCH money to spend on a Deuce I dont care if it dumps or not! in my eyes you would be money way ahead to move up a bunch of years to a 939 series 5 tonner, its already got the automatic trans the trucks are very available along with parts and in most cases you can get into a very nice one for less than a Deuce. I would look into this then look around this site for somebody to put a dumper on it for you, and increase the depth of the bed A LOT, chips dont weigh that much! I think you would be much happier with this truck Peyton!
Karl

snowtrac nome

Peyton that is just plain TO MUCH money to spend on a Deuce I dont care if it dumps or not! in my eyes you would be money way ahead to move up a bunch of years to a 939 series 5 tonner, its already got the automatic trans the trucks are very available along with parts and in most cases you can get into a very nice one for less than a Deuce. I would look into this then look around this site for somebody to put a dumper on it for you, and increase the depth of the bed A LOT, chips dont weigh that much! I think you would be much happier with this truck Peyton!
Karl
That's my thought to get a 5 ton or fmtv they are newer and have full air brakes, and don't listen to the to those who say wedge brakes don't work as well, on asphalt at 20 mph will just about throw passengers into the windshield. Yes the larger airbrake equipped rigs will require a cdl. Some could interpret that air assist duce brakes to also require an airbrake endorsement. The one plus about the m 35 is the size it is a nice convenient size, not to big not to small.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a friend with a M928A2 that could be bought. Shortened to 16', it would be a huge (dumping) chip bed and no frame alterations (shortening just a bit). CDL for sure but a fleet of them could haul a LOT!

That is the issue with the deuce... below most CDL requirement and not as large overall.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

an lmtv with a 5 yard bed with sides on it would likely be a smaller package, the real question you should ask your self is, do you need all wheel drive. if not just pick up an international or f800 with a dump bed off a state surplus auction, and drive on. It will cost about the same as a duce 5 ton or lmtv and already be set up to dump, also it will have a lot lower bed loading height

FloridaAKM

The video of the onion harvesting reminded me of farm work with the Deuces back in the 70's where we had silage cutters blow cut green corn back into a Deuce to be dumped into a huge concrete container & stored for winter feed just like they harvested onions. In the Fall, they combined corn or soybeans for storage or sale using the Deuces driving beside combine thru the fields. Fond memories.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
98G, let me know when you see M929's cheap!

I haul 15k in my M929A2 and it's about perfect, but going 20 miles with 4k of chips would not be very efficient. The bed is only 10'. At least a deuce has 12'.

lindsey97

Or buy a deuce, or whichever mv you prefer, then buy a civilian dump trailer with tall sides to pull behind the deuce. Unhitch the trailer when not working, and use the truck for whatever you wish.

In my occupation, $26k could buy a class 8 10 wheel dump truck. I have purchased 2 dump trucks over the past 13 years, both under $20k and neither needed any repairs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks