• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 or M35A3? Pro's and Cons of each

92RT-TT

Hello all,

I am looking at buying an M35. I'm trying to decide if I should get an M35A2 or an M35A3.

I am by no means a subject matter expert, so I will state what I "know" to be the differences between the two, and hopefully others can chime in if I miss something important. I am looking to see which one people think are better/easier to maintain/overall better package etc.

M35A3: Allison auto transmission, cat engine, Power steering, singles already, higher top speed (what I've hear), CTIS

M35A2: Manual, various engines, no power steering, dually, (slower unless you get bigger tires)

My plan is to either Bob mine or just single it out, mainly I'll just be using it on the road to haul things. I would probably add air seats to it, insulate it more, and try to make it as comfortable as I could.

Which engines are the best? Does the Cat engine and turbo whistle alot? I've heard the white engine w/the whistler turbo and I LOVE the sound of it. Are most of the other engines/turbo combos (cat included) much quieter in terms of the turbo whistle?

Anything else I need to look for between the two?

dittle

M35A3's are slower, parts are more expensive if not impossible to find (certain parts), more expensive, CTIS is a POS. Don't know if I've ever seen one bobbed.

M35A2 are faster, cheaper, more reliable (few electronics and no CTIS), more readily available.

92RT-TT

Thanks for your reply, yeah that kinda makes the m35a2 seem like a better fit for me lol. Plus I'd rather have a stick. Autos are really no fun. And having more parts readily available is a definite plus!

I see you are in Prior Lake, nice to see someone local on here (I just joined and am totally new to military vehicles) :)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He said she said. Drive both you decide. Love my A3 but then again I love all 32 of my trucks and favor the 5 tons.

Driving and auto is no fun! When your in your A2 and the gear you chose to run in through the mud is at red line and you can't shift because you will come to a compleat stop in the mud. Just rember that no fun auto will up shift and spin them tires or down shift as needed. A3 better in the mud.

Last edited:

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site! I agree with dittle, the A3's are for sure slower even though they have bigger tires. I have the same tires on my A2 and it will do 60 easily. I personally would say go with the A2 and add what options you want. And I might be a little bias because I have 20 of them out back:smile:

92RT-TT

Thanks again for the replies and the welcome.

Also great links, I'm reading through them now. More and more I'm thinking A2 over A3 now. Now I just need to find one that is in good shape and has a nice loud turbo :D (I've got a twin turbo Dodge Stealth w/ 3 1/2 inch straight piped exhaust and I love the turbo whistle)

lonegunman

M35A3's are slower, parts are more expensive if not impossible to find (certain parts), more expensive, CTIS is a POS. Don't know if I've ever seen one bobbed.

M35A2 are faster, cheaper, more reliable (few electronics and no CTIS), more readily available.

There are more than a few A3 posts that can fill you in on the details of an A3. Most of what you hear from A2 guys is wrong, much like the above quote. I've driven both and the A3 might be a couple of mph slower but it is a better truck for regular use, hands down.

The A3 uses a considerable number of commerical truck parts in the drive train that can be bought from places that service any of the millions of commerical trucks on the road.

The engine will not grenade as easily as the multi-fuel. Go look for posts on "my engine exploded" and you will find dozens from A2 guys.

The CTIS system is garbage. No disagreeement there, it causes more tires to leak down worldwide than nails. Finding a new hood or grill might be tough, but it is a deuce and uses nearly all the same sheet metal.

There are actually a few bobbed ones. But chopping up a 1500 dollar A2 is a lot easier than chopping up a 6500 dollar A3 that is less than 12 years old and very low production to boot.

AceHigh

Also the A3 is relatively cheap right now, often being sold under $5K. Modern seat, wiring harness is not crusty or brittle, marker lights, dual circuit brakes, air dryer, on and on. Oh, back up lights, mine has no leaks so far (worth something!)

wsucougarx

Just as everyone stated above. I'd be more concerned with the lack of parts and how expensive replacement parts would be if you do find them. Also, just my personal thing. If you like the looks of igor then A3 all the way:???:

Attachments

dittle

There are more than a few A3 posts that can fill you in on the details of an A3. Most of what you hear from A2 guys is wrong, much like the above quote. I've driven both and the A3 might be a couple of mph slower but it is a better truck for regular use, hands down.

The A3 uses a considerable number of commerical truck parts in the drive train that can be bought from places that service any of the millions of commerical trucks on the road.

The engine will not grenade as easily as the multi-fuel. Go look for posts on "my engine exploded" and you will find dozens from A2 guys.

The CTIS system is garbage. No disagreeement there, it causes more tires to leak down worldwide than nails. Finding a new hood or grill might be tough, but it is a deuce and uses nearly all the same sheet metal.

There are actually a few bobbed ones. But chopping up a 1500 dollar A2 is a lot easier than chopping up a 6500 dollar A3 that is less than 12 years old and very low production to boot.
I would like to know what all I said was wrong in my post. You agreed with my post later in your post so you're contradicting yourself.

Yes, the A3 uses commercial truck parts, but so does the A2. What is the percentage difference? Parts being more expensive...one word CAT. You can't argue with that. Parts being hard to find that are not commercially available due to no one scrapping them for parts like the A2. Stock the A2 will out run the A3 by several MPH. You want OTJ experience go talk to the army mechanics who have to deal with this truck. Most of them wouldn't touch the dang with with a 10 foot pole. :rant:

AceHigh

CTIS parts are high but I do not know of any other parts problems. What specifically is the issue? The A2 uses most of the same parts and Cat and Allison have the rest, or am I missing something?

Sorry, posted my question as you were posting the answer!

I think part of the A3s problem is the trucks were issued just as the Hummwv and newer trucks came on line. Given the choice the soldiers let the A3 trucks stay parked. Just guessing.

Last edited:
T

televisionman007

i like the m35a2's better as they are twice as cheap as am35a3:drool:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few A3 specific parts that are hard to come by. I know a fellow that was looking for a trans dipstick and tube for a A3. Like to have never found one (they are different than what's on a civilain Allison).

Some people love the A3, some people love the A2. IMO the A3 is butt ugly and I don't think they are worth the extra money over a A2. The A3 is a good truck but not worth that much more than a A2 IMO. I might own a A3 if they were close to the same price as a A2 but until then, I'll stick with the A2.

Heavysteven

M35A3 is the better truck. I know some would disagree. The CAT 3116 is a great engine. I have spoken at great length with the CAT sales Manager in Georgia Romey about this. The fact is most can not afford or justify the additional cost of the A3 up front. I would one one but 5-6K on a toy i can not afford.

Conclusion if you can afford the M35A3 then buy it. However, the A2 is a solid machine just cheaper.

92RT-TT

found an A2 jeep kaiser 1971 on GL in MN, but its a non turbo and I was really hoping for a turbo. Wonder how big of a deal it would be to turbo a non turbo M35 lol.

wsucougarx

It'd be cheaper in the long run to just buy one with a turbo. However, without a turbo you don't have to worry about leaky turbo seals:) Also, the non-turbo'd trucks have mufflers I believe:) To put a turbo on a non-turbo'd truck would involve changing out to all the clean air kit items (about $200-300 new), adding a turbo (whistlers can be pretty spendy), and you'd need to change the timing a bit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks