• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 Torque arms

Veesandskis

I’m just curious, is there another option out there for torque arm replacement that’s more cost friendly or are the only options $200 a piece torque arms or paying $600 for a set of torque arm bushings to do all the torque arms..? TIA

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’m just curious, is there another option out there for torque arm replacement that’s more cost friendly or are the only options $200 a piece torque arms or paying $600 for a set of torque arm bushings to do all the torque arms..? TIA
There is a pretty good writeup about the torque rods and even a source here:

Veesandskis

There is a pretty good writeup about the torque rods and even a source here:

So from my understanding, there’s no real way of doing this other than about $50 a bushing or $600 for all the bushings?

tobyS

Look at the twist when one rear axle goes up and the other down. It puts a huge torque on them that can bust a retainer off if the retainer is 90* to the bone (some people weld on).

My A3 was one of the last produced and I don't know if they were replaced. I have 6 attached to the trunion I'll look at condition if anybody is interested in buying them.

Veesandskis

Look at the twist when one rear axle goes up and the other down. It puts a huge torque on them that can bust a retainer off if the retainer is 90* to the bone (some people weld on).

My A3 was one of the last produced and I don't know if they were replaced. I have 6 attached to the trunion I'll look at condition if anybody is interested in buying them.
I got my deuce a few weeks ago and heard about torque arms being a one of the more common suspension parts to wear out. My bushings look like they’re from 1972 but I mean I don’t see any obvious signs that they’re failing or starting to fail. In the case I DID have a failure, I’d rather not have to refinance the house to put replace some bushings 😂 All jokes aside though, the price for the bushings seems a bit high to me

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked my bushings several times per year. I read the horror stories of them failing with axle rolling consequences. Then I saw one of our municipal snow plows lose an axle when the torque arm failed.

That is when I ordered the heavy duty greaseable metal joints and swapped them all.

I winced once. I paid once. I haven't looked back.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Veesandskis

I checked my bushings several times per year. I read the horror stories of them failing with axle rolling consequences. Then I saw one of our municipal snow plows lose an axle when the torque arm failed.

That is when I ordered the heavy duty greaseable metal joints and swapped them all.

I winced once. I paid once. I haven't looked back.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Where’d you get the joints?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought them from Erik's

And not to dish the military comics on truck maintenance, but the test above "torque rod bushing does not return to its original position" means that the rubber has fully separated and the rod end is ready to fall off!
Not much safety margin left there. Why chance it? If they are cracked and look disgusting, time to change them. Crowbar test or not.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you are cheap weld rebar across them and replace them when they pop or you have the money.

Bite the bullet and replace 2 a month or whenever you have the money. Buy a spare torque rod and have em pressed and installed so you can swap one and not have the truck down and repeat the cycle with the extra one. Start with the uppers. They cause the most destruction upon failure

Or just do it all and replace all at the same time.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks