• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2c, s-280 & m105=9.45 mpg...

LanceRobson

On the way back from the Gilbert show on Sunday AM I decided to see what mileage the M35A2C w/w was getting with the S-280 camper in it and towing an M105 trailer at around 4,000 pounds. The S-280 likely weighs about 2,600 pounds. I was interested in how much the taller profile of the shelter was affecting the mileage as compared to the cargo cover with which I usually get right around 10 MPG if I'm not pushing the truck hard.

The average for the 190 mile trip was 9.45 MPG.

The only thing I've done to help the mileage (and tire wear) was to height match the rear tires to reduce scrubbing. The truck has 9K miles on a depot overhaul with new engine, transmission, axles etc.

I tried to keep my foot out of the throttle and cruise at 50 MPH. I did try to hit the bottoms of the hills at near the red line though since my experience with deuces is that they hold speed on hills near the red line much better than at any lower RPMs.

When needed, I downshift to fourth at 2,000 RPMs to keep the engine turning freely and avoid lugging. The temperature cracked 200 degrees one time by about a needle's width on a long hill at just above 2,000 RPM in fifth. When I downshifted to fourth and there was the resulting increase in air being pulled through the radiator the temperature dropped nearly 10 degrees in about 10 seconds. There is no doubt in my mind that the engine is a lot happier running at higher RPMs.

Rear tire pressures were 50 and the fronts were 55.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks