• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 exhaust intake impeller *tink*

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So...I put an A3 intake on my A2. The pre-cleaner is has an impeller (at least that's what it sounds like) and mine *tink* *tink* *tink*'s. When the truck has been running a while, it settles down a little but still *tink*'s a little. Is this normal?

The sound is coming from #34 in the picture.

Attachments

HDN

I don't see anything in that picture that would be making that sound. I haven't opened my air cleaner yet, so I'm assuming it's just an empty canister when there's no filter in it. It goes right to the turbo, so I'm thinking it's a turbo-related noise. But then again, those noises usually come from the exhaust, right?

I've never noticed this noise on my A3, and if I did I'd get nervous and ask the same question as the OP! A noise like that makes me think something is loose or is banging harder than it should, indicating a potential part failure condition. After I shut the engine down I hear the typical metal contraction noises that come from cooling.

Now if everyone else says their A3 is making this noise and it's fine, then I'll get nervous :p

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your pre-cleaner hooked to your exhaust stack? I could see how some intakes could be installed and not have this done.

It sounds to me like the pre-cleaner has a small impeller in it that spins and sucks particles that then get sucked into the exiting exhaust gasses. The sound is coming from INSIDE that little offshoot from the main air intake. In the attached pic it's the tube in the red circle the small tube going out the top is connected to the exhaust stack with a flexible tube. It sounds like something spinning that's occasionally hitting something like a wobble.

I'm not nervous about it. It doesn't sound like it'll cause any sort of damage.

Attachments

Last edited:

HDN

I'm really curious about this. I wouldn't think an impeller would be necessary for pre-cleaning/dust ejecting because I always thought exhaust vacuum alone would be good enough. But then again I don't know much about precleaning air and dust ejecting.

A quick Google search shows that a rotor can be involved, exhaust vacuum, or a special intake cap with vanes on it. I'm not planning on taking mine apart any time soon to see for sure though :D

I thought someone here might've installed one of these on an A2 within the past few years? Maybe they might know, if I can find them and they're still around...

EDIT: OMG I just realized that it was @montaillou who did that project! I haven't had my coffee yet o_O if there was an impeller in there I thought you might've seen it during your modification.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if there was an impeller in there
I don't know what it is, I merely surmised it might be an impeller, it sounds like it's coming from the very end bit of that tube. You can see from where it's located that it's not exactly easy to see into that little tube. Now that everything is hooked up, I could unhook a few parts, put a snake camera in there and see what's what, except I don't own a snake camera and thought I'd ask of others who own this type of air intake (like A3 owners) if the noise is common - one person has suggested that it is.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea whether there is an impeller in there or not. However, I have never heard any noise coming from that area on my A3. It's possible the noise is coming from something else and is being transmitted to that area. I would recommend that you find out what it is in case something significant is causing the noise.

Reactions: HDN

HDN

Wild guess: could it be the thermostat? I know busted thermostats can sometimes make a clicking noise that might be turning into a tinking sound.

CMPPhil

Hi

Have you tried to locate the source of the noise with a mechanical stethoscope? I have had looking for source of noise with a stethoscope not perfect but a good tool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks