• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 lockout hubs

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I finally got around to mounting the hubs that I have had sitting around for a while. I went with AVM hubs because I wanted to use the stock hub caps and not have to modify them to much. I had a set of Selectro hubs which work just as well but would have required a lot more modification to the hub caps. So I did some trading and got the AVM's.

The lockouts make a great difference in how the truck handles. Here are some pics of the end product. Don't look to hard at the paint cause it is about to be repainted within the month. Then the wheels will be CARC green.

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They look great! Let us know how well they work and how well they hold up. I might think about doing the same thing to mine.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
can you do them and keep your CTIS? Costs? How much work is it?

Yes the CTIS functions the same as before the hub addition. Only thing one has to remember is to step outside and lock in the hubs before engaging the air shift on the front axle.

I think the AVM hubs are around $600 a pair.

Not much work. Just have to think about it before you start cutting the hub cap. After you get the cutting /filing/painting done on the hub cap just do a normal flange replacement per the manual using the lockout hub rather than the issue flange. Pretty simple actually.

Last edited:

chevyracing82

has anybody tried the ouverson lockout hubs yet? i dont know if they will work on stock wheels or not but have used them on race trucks and havent broken one yet

duramaxdiesel1

i just bought a m35a3 a week ago need to go through it to see what i need. the only thing i notice that doesnt work is the directionals/ hazards. every thing else seems to work great. i wood love to put a set of these hubs on this to make the steering a lot better if it makes that big a difference. whats the best thing to use to try to balance these tires? they shake a lot in the rear going down the road?

dabtl

I have been running the AVM lockout hubs since jatonka first offered them. No problems. None.

Looking at the reports from users of lockout hubs, all kinds, I have only found one report of a failure and that was a minor repair.

Do not fear the lockout hubs will not last!

G-Force

Maccus,
I am just curious if you will start experiencing wear issues on the bushing that is mounted in the spindle and suppoorts the splined part of the front axle. Since now the front axles are not spinning with the hub and the hub is spinning and the shaft is stationary. I'm not trying to be negative about the hubs and feel they are a necessary upgrade to cut down on wear on the front end drive parts. I'm just curious about if there will be any wear on this bushing since it only was supporting the splined axle shaft with the solid hubs. Any thoughts or information on this in he future would be appreciated.

Rustygears

i just bought a m35a3 a week ago need to go through it to see what i need. the only thing i notice that doesnt work is the directionals/ hazards. every thing else seems to work great. i wood love to put a set of these hubs on this to make the steering a lot better if it makes that big a difference. whats the best thing to use to try to balance these tires? they shake a lot in the rear going down the road?

Please use the search feature of this site. There are bazillions of threads on balancing A3 tires and multiple methods using sheet lead, golfballs, lug nuts, etc.

If you have a recently acquired A3, make sure you read all about the change of transmission oil and make sure you service the air dryer and air assist steering system. These items usually need attention and are thoroughly addressed in the forum.

Lastly, check those tires for age and cracks. Check the DOT date codes on ech tire. If they are from the '90s like so many are, seriously inspect for rot. They are notorious for blow outs and as you will see by the posts, people have had serious accidents as a result of a steer axle blowout on an A3.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Maccus,
I am just curious if you will start experiencing wear issues on the bushing that is mounted in the spindle and supports the splined part of the front axle. Since now the front axles are not spinning with the hub and the hub is spinning and the shaft is stationary. I'm not trying to be negative about the hubs and feel they are a necessary upgrade to cut down on wear on the front end drive parts. I'm just curious about if there will be any wear on this bushing since it only was supporting the splined axle shaft with the solid hubs. Any thoughts or information on this in he future would be appreciated.
The issue with the bushing that is supposed to be in the spindle is actually a non-issue. For what ever reason they removed that bushing when they converted the axle over to the A3 axle. Check both the A2 and A3 parts manuals and you will see it is gone. I found that out the hard way when I put a set of desplined hubs on the A3. After driving the truck for 3 or so miles I got out to check the hubs. And they were warm to the touch. So I removed them and put the original ones on. Then after doing the parts check in both the A2 and A3 manuals found out why it was warm. The turkeys left the bushing out and so when using desplined hubs the axle rests on the housing. The common three available lock out hubs have support/bushings etc. in them for the end of the axle so they do not rub on anything.

The Selectro, Overson, and AVM hubs work fine no problem.

TRIVIA; I have run desplined hubs in M35, M35A1 and M35A2 trucks for years. The hub area never gets warm at all. That tells me the bushing must be doing the trick. Never had any problems at all running desplined hubs in any truck other than the M35A3.

Last edited:

spicergear

YES, people have used the Ouverson's with no problems. They're a great hub. He will even sell them as one hub, and one double spline axle for a forward rear tandem application. Good guy that Randy O- ...and great products.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turn the CTIS off and air up all the tires to 60 PSI, will make a world of difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks