• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 Parking Brake / Emergency Brake State Inspection

AnonymousOne

As I have never had a M35a3 before can someone advise me on the parking brake?

In MA the state inspection pass / fail on parking brake is.

1. Put the truck in the lowest gear.
2. Put the parking brake on.
3. A pass is if the truck holds when you take the foot off the brake.

My m35a3 moves .. :roll: ... it will actually pick up speed over time.

I got under the truck and both pads look good.

I think the issue is that the brake drum the pads push against is baby butt smooth.

I tightened the brake cable so it is really hard to pull up the handle now on the emergency brake but it still moves... a lot slower but still a fail.

Is this common for M35a3, do I need to replace parts, thoughts ideas ?

I need an inspection sticker .. it would also be great if I could park it on a slight hill and feel confident enough to get out and put wheel chocks under it by myself. LOL

jasonjc

Make sure the pads are moving when you pull on the cable. Watch it as some one else pulls on the handle. The two halve should clamp together. They tend too rust up and not move right. If they don't move like they should you will need to take the hole thing apart and claen/derust it all and grease it up. There are also 3 springs on the parking brake make sure they are all there and working.

cajun666

do u now how to adj it
this is how i do it ( it problem wrong way but my truck stays where i park it )

dis engage parking brake

back off nut on handler all the way

run big nut down till it hits bar

run down the backing nut a tighten it

now pull up handler truck should not move

yes it hard to pull up handler

Last edited by a moderator:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can adjust it at the lever a little. But for big change you need to adjust it at the brake shoes.

AnonymousOne

Thank you all for your tips.

Great video ... so that top screw in the video is what i have tightened down to clamp the brake shoes down harder.

I couldn't bring it too far down as the brake pads would touch the drum during standard operation if I did any more.

Right now there is an 1/8 of an inch between the pads and the drum. When I pull the handle up both pads appear to evenly grab the drum.

At work now (opps) .. let me get home and read the replies above again .. I think I am missing something because I am reading this quick.

Heavysteven

I would spin the handle all the way out, tighten down the adjusting nut over the brake, and clean every thing up. When you get to the inspection tighten that handle down as far as it can go. The problem is that thing is going to get so tight you can't lift up on the handle.

On a side note mine will freeze in the winter. Nice a3

cajun666

You do not want to tighten it with a wrench .

Do it bye hand.

Just run down the big nut tell it touch the parking paw. ( problem wrong word i use )

Make sure u got a double nut on it
or it well back off.
2cents

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks