• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 230 flathead oil drain plug question

BrutusM37

First oil change on the PW has me stumped. What bit do I need for the drain plug? It's like a T60 Torx but has 8 points instead of 6. I've heard of them referred to as "double square" and "8 pt star" but can't find anything online. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm surprised the military would put something so bizarre on there. Might be aftermarket. I can provide pictures if needed.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
That's the original style drain plug. The correct tool is a 1/2" by 2.5" long piece of square stock. If you use a 1/2 drive socket (with rounded edges) you will strip it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the original style drain plug. The correct tool is a 1/2" by 2.5" long piece of square stock. If you use a 1/2 drive socket (with rounded edges) you will strip it.
Yep and thanks. Someone must have used a ratchet with tapered corners on mine as I had a little trouble getting mine out. Plus someone thinks the drain plug needs fifty foot pounds. I was able to install with no trouble using my 3/8 to 1/2 adapter that has good square corners. As you said the ratchet has bad corners as we can see. I do have a new one on order so the next time oil change might go better.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks