• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Emergency Brake Drum

Most importantly.. What size is the large center (or gland) castle nut that connects the e-brake drum to the transfer case? My socket set gets spotty at about 1"+....... Any tips on removal of the e-brake drum and band? On inspection of mine, I found it cracked and missing a piece, and the band trashed. Any secrets to adjustment, after getting this all installed? I understand the principal of this item; I just have no experience with anything like this......!

Mike_L

The book (TM 9-8031-2, fig 128) shows it as 7/8". It has been awhile since I've been under mine but in my mind, I thought it was bigger.

When I changed my brake lining out, I could not get it to seat correctly to spec. After I drove it around some, about a week, it seated better and I was able to get closer to spec. Seems I remember reading at the time that this was common until the band seated and would need frequent adjusting initially.

One thing I noticed with new linings, the anchor clip bolt (the safety wired one on the left side) would not thread back in (the threads would not grab) so I used a longer bolt until it seated better. I was eventually able to get the shorter (1 1/4"?) bolt back in once the band was broken in.

That's about all I remember of it that I had trouble with. I don't think I ever got it exactly to spec but it holds on the second notch and doesn't seem to rub when the truck is moving (or doesn't feel hot when I check). Close enough for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks