• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37.....Here we go again

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Even though I am trying to stop the MV restorations the stuff just keeps coming in. Got an easy 1952 M37 resto a couple of weeks ago and am working on it. It came with a couple of parts M37's. And to make matters worse the person I got 7 mules from came down with another one. Told him I did not need another project so he just gave me the mule for free and left. DON 'T WANT MORE STUFF GUYS. I will post pictures soon.

Oh ya! Working on the 1957 Studebaker M35 at the same time also. Keeping the parts separated for the 3 units is getting to be a challenge.

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Some pictures

Some pics. Only inoperative thing on the 37 is the generator stuff. The truck had a 100 amp system and the rectifier was shot. Will replace the 100 amp with a 40 amp 24v civilian one wire unit for use in the short term. Needs a new wiring harness as do most all the older units I have done needed.

I found out a couple of mules ago the way to work on them is to remove the deck. Then just sit on a milk crate and it is easy going. After you get the brakes/leaks etc. to work the way you want them put the deck back on. Mule is the easiest MV I have ever worked on by far.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck. I have new 100A rectifiers cheap if you want to put that cool system back together.

dmetalmiki

I don't want a T72. A Centurian Mk1 ARV, skotOT60..or an Abott...I have far far too much on already!.............(now here's hoping)

A very nice looking bunch of vehicles you have there..(that you don't want/need)..

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Nice truck. I have new 100A rectifiers cheap if you want to put that cool system back together.

Thanks for the offer. I am going to just make this unit a driver unit to run around the national forest. It will look good but will not be totally correct. I do not cobble stuff up so if down the line someone wants to do a correct restoration it will be an easy fix. I will however give the unit a 10 yard motor pool paint job and markings etc. of a Marine unit. The mule is actually a Marine purchased mule so it also will get a Marine paint job etc. Here is the last mule I did some time ago. Many of you have seen it as it makes all the GA events with Clinto.. The new mule will be a copy of Clinto's. Clinto has done a lot of work on the unit since it came to live at his house. The picture of the 1964 M37B1 was a unit I did in 1978. It had just come out of rebuild at Ft. McCoy and needed absolutely nothing but a fresh paint job. Cost me 1700 bucks.

Attachments

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Good deal. Thanks. If you have any other M37 stuff you do not need drag it up also. Have decided to replace all the gauges in the dash with new Packard ones. I need to look but I think I have a complete set somewhere around here. Will add the turn signal stuff, I know I have a NOS lever but not sure about the flasher unit itself. Also will replace the light switch with a GI NOS one I have.

We will have to plan a trip down your way to blast the Mule deck and the wheel rims soon. Paint will get ordered Monday for the M37 and Mule. On your in the crate new generator type mule motor........might as well bring it up and if I need it I will use it if not it can sit in the back of the pole barn for a while. Have a parts mule engine with about 75% of the items needed to convert a Generator engine for mule use. -

Here you go, M37 harness and some random mule parts! I'll even deliver on the 4th.

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
So here is the partial load (need to remove my lawnmower).
Good deal. I will have the mule deck and its 4 wheels/rims ready to go back with you for sand blasting. When the blasting is done give me a shout and Carol and I will make the trip to Cheyenne to pick the stuff up.

As mentioned we need to figure out a way to transport the 1957 deuce down to your place.

Sort of putting the M37 on a short hold until I get the Mule done. As it will take a lot less time to do. Hope to have it done in a month or less.

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Back to the M37. Have it almost ready to hit the roads this spring in the Black Hills. As mentioned it will be a driver and not a show boat. Got the markings on yesterday and am waiting for the cab top to be made. Here are some pics of the current look of the unit. As is normal the lighting is not good for taking pics, the actual paint on the markings is good. I will post some more pics when I get to the pole barn where most of the running project pics are on the shop computer.

Attachments

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Well after a 12 week wait the New Life Canvas cab top got here. A very long wait but as always Mona's products are perfect in every way. Well worth the wait.

I will post the last of the pics on this project when it finally stops snowing here and I can get the M37, M116 mule trailer and the M274A5 mule all hooked up and outside in the non snow environment. Hopefully by July at least.

Here a couple of pics of Mona"s handy work.

Attachments

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Had a leak in the rear axel shaft pinion seal. So I removed the seal only to find that the leak was caused by the inner seal in the National 8127 seal. The inner seal was turning inside the outer 4 inch spacer/housing... or what ever you call the darn thing. I had wondered about that potential problem when I looked at the construction of the two piece seals. Anyone had that problem before?

When the new seal gets here this week I will need to torque the nut that holds the yoke on. Does anyone know the correct torque value for that on the M37 ?? I looked in all the manuals and could not find that information anywhere at all. The 8030 manual says to contact depot maint.. and the -35 manual is a rare manual and it is not much help at all. When I put my Milwaukee Impact on the nut to get it off it had to work on the removal for a while before the nut came off. So maybe the torque value is of a higher value. I guess I may have to contact the experts this week.......Midwest Military......Vintage Power Wagons..........Memphis Equip.... etc.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recall which manual it is; but there is a torque chart in the back that lists the torque.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks