• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Restomod?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you want to know?

I've some 50 years in rebuilding, modifying, and driving them.

Unfortunately, they haven't gotten any cheaper to do.

DG

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you want to know?

I've some 50 years in rebuilding, modifying, and driving them.

Unfortunately, they haven't gotten any cheaper to do.

DG
Basically, what is the easiest and best way to do it? Find a truck frame to mount the body on, or use the existing frame and build it that way? Seems to me, mounting the body on an appropriate late model frame / drivetrain would be the best.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, can't help you with that.

Any modifications I did were minimal, and done a la factory style.

The optics are important.

DG

Marlin

Anyone on here done a restomod on a M37? Thinking about selling my MK23 and doing one.
Hi I’m new on this site and fixing to do a restomod to my 1952 M37 the truck I’m posting pictures is not my but has been rebuilt I know some people love only the OEM set up on these trucks but the truck I’m posting pictures of can travel down the interstate at 75 mph or faster for hours at a time , trail ride all day with ac/heat ,power steering and power brakes ( the running gear is from a 1991 dodge w250 ) this truck has a 5.9cummins,five speed overdrive stick , fount end a Dana 60 and axle a Dana 70 . Fuel mileage is around 16 mpg and can be dove anywhere anytime . 1672369727395.jpeg

Marlin

Hi I’m new on this site and fixing to do a restomod to my 1952 M37 the truck I’m posting pictures is not my but has been rebuilt I know some people love only the OEM set up on these trucks but the truck I’m posting pictures of can travel down the interstate at 75 mph or faster for hours at a time , trail ride all day with ac/heat ,power steering and power brakes ( the running gear is from a 1991 dodge w250 ) this truck has a 5.9cummins,five speed overdrive stick , fount end a Dana 60 and axle a Dana 70 . Fuel mileage is around 16 mpg and can be dove anywhere anytime . View attachment 887309

Attachments

nattieleather

I'm doing one now....been doing it for a long time. I went with modifying the original frame by putting new axles under it. Fabricating a new engine, trans, transfer case into the truck etc. Since I've been doing this for 14.5 year now (okay so I only work one or two days a month with many months off in between) I think it would have been easier and quicker to have had a donner truck and swapped bodies, but then again I've had a lot of fun and frustration doing it this way. You're mileage may vary.

Travlr

I'm doing a restomod '58. It's well on the way at this point. Using a '78 3/4 ton Chevy Camper Special as the donor truck. The end product will be almost entirely stock Chevy so parts will be easy and driving it will be substantially more functional than a stock M37.

I deleted the saddle tanks on the Chevy and shortened the frame 19 1/2 inches. I'm using a stock 31 gallon tank from a Blazer. The instruments will be after market including a GPS speedo/odo that will fit in the original dash of the M37. The tough part will be splicing the floor and firewall of the Chevy into the cab of the M37, and the cutting and fitting is now done and the welding about to begin. I'll also have to use a yet to be determined radiator, and am looking at options. Suggestions are more than welcome. Seriously, if anyone has a line on custom radiators I'm all ears.

20231009_144745 - Copy.jpg

20231120_152223.jpg

20231116_143722.jpg

Last edited:

Travlr

So does anyone have a source for custom radiators? I could run a stock radiator and a typical remote transmission cooler but was looking for a better solution.

Travlr

Champion makes a radiator for the Power Wagon that fits.
There's a championradiator site and a championcooling site. Are they the same manufacturer or two different radiator builders? Have you bought from them? Got a link?

Looks like the championradiator site has a power wagon unit but the championcooling site doesn't. So I guess that answers my question.

Last edited:

boughtnobuilt

this is what I bought. The side mounting fins are slightly angled for some reason, I had a friend set them straight before I mounted it. Also had him rotate the lower fill slightly. But I have an LS.

Travlr

Just checking in. The M37 cab morphing into the Chevy floor is proving to be a bear. Trying to seal all the differences and make them all watertight is frustrating. I'm going to use fiberglass once the metal is all welded and stable to cover gaps that it would take a lot of fabricating to do right. Once the carpet is in, no one will see it anyways.

Reactions: D6T

Travlr

Still trying to figure out what to do for a radiator. I would like to have one with a tranny cooler and everything standard/universal would have to be adapted heavily. I might have to see if the big city has a radiator shop that can build one.

20240323_151646.jpg
20240323_151953.jpg

Redleg130

BD Radiator in McLouth, KS recored my original M37 radiator, but he has an extensive shop that focuses on radiators exclusively. He seemed to be really happy about getting an old military vehicle back up and running, and did a good job on my setup. I dont know if he can adapt something in your case, but i'd bet he at least points you in a direction.

He does not have a website, but google "radiator shop mcclouth ks" and he is on yellow pages and whatnot on Wellman Rd in McLouth, KS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks