• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M373 Axle Swap

Zdzimmermann

I am looking for suggestions for an alternate axel to swap under my 1969 M373 6-ton trailer. The current axel has the 6-bolt hub pattern with 9x20 dual net set up. I want an axel that has the 10 bolt pattern common on 5-tons so my spare truck tire and the trailer tires will be interchangeable .
5-ton is ‘85 M931 with 14.00R20 on standard combat wheels.
Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had Tampa spring and alinement do mine and I am glad I did the up grade. New 25k S cam and ten bolt stud pilot hubs. The picture of the data plate did not come out and I will try again when the Sun is a little higher. I do not know about your 1400 tires. I had them add a five inch channel to the frame so my 373 would sit level on my 1088 tractor on 14's and running 11r22.5 tires and have about 11 inches of clearance. Dumb move on my part because I now use my 915A2 tractor more and the trailer is just a little nose down and does not look right. Not a big deal with a single axle trailer but also they have become yard ornaments. Good part tan 373 is still stock axle so with 915 it sits level and camo 373 and 1088 sits level.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zdzimmermann

Thank you for the input. I will look into a donor “pup trailer” axel and some lift blocks. I know, as with any DIY project, one thing will lead to another, and another and...
I may end up removing some leafs from the truck springs to get a better ride (cheaper mod for now) and this too will change all the heights...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobyS

Do you want round or square? I have a few semi axles and budds. If by chance you just want a one piece rim, the budd Isuzu fits (6 x 8.75 Bc) and you can get 19.5 or 22.5". Here is picture of the 19.5 on an m105 axle. Height is 31".

Attachments

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about doing this. But, how much do you really think you are going to pull the trailer? In the 5 years or so I have had my M373A2, it has had maybe 3,500 miles put on it including when I picked it up.

My trailer already has a (never been on the ground) spare and I can buy quite a few 20" tires for the $ I would have to pay to have someone install an axle for me. It may be a better deal if you do the work yourself, but it wasn't cost effective to me. Also consider you have a tire on the tractor that doesn't fit the trailer without modification. Maybe you should stick with the original tires and wheels.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a pic of the data tag for my axle if you are still thinking about a better up grade. To me it is not a weight gain thing or mileage thing for me it is a safety thing.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had Tampa spring and alinement do mine and I am glad I did the up grade. New 25k S cam and ten bolt stud pilot hubs. The picture of the data plate did not come out and I will try again when the Sun is a little higher. I do not know about your 1400 tires. I had them add a five inch channel to the frame so my 373 would sit level on my 1088 tractor on 14's and running 11r22.5 tires and have about 11 inches of clearance. Dumb move on my part because I now use my 915A2 tractor more and the trailer is just a little nose down and does not look right. Not a big deal with a single axle trailer but also they have become yard ornaments. Good part tan 373 is still stock axle so with 915 it sits level and camo 373 and 1088 sits level.
Rather than being a yard ornament at your place, maybe that green M373A2 would work better as a yard ornament at my place? It is definitely a nice looking trailer. I particularly like those wet bearings. My M871 Flatbed has grease rather than oil... Maybe I am just getting old, but I sure do like walking by the hubs and looking in the "window" and seeing oil in there.

That is a NICE axle conversion with plenty of tire clearance!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks