• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38 Torque values

1951D47U

Installing rear pinion seal and rear seal on transmission. What are the torque requirements for the 1952 M 38? I have TM 98012 but for the life of me cannot find torque specs. Must not be looking in the righ2020 7-31c Good profile of M38 jeep. .jpgt place.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are just changing a pinion seal on the diff, you can mark the nut and pinion remove the yoke, do the seal, put it back on and tighten until the marks align. The crush sleeve and preload will stay as they were when you removed it.

As fore the t-case output, no clue.

1951D47U

If you are just changing a pinion seal on the diff, you can mark the nut and pinion remove the yoke, do the seal, put it back on and tighten until the marks align. The crush sleeve and preload will stay as they were when you removed it.

I would think that somewhere there is a chart showing various torque values like for instance, lug nuts, main bearing caps, rod caps, harmonic balancer, etc. Something else that would be nice to know is what modern parts are substitutions. Surely there are brake kits, thermostats, points and codenser, etc that have modern equivalents. Thanks for responding.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are. There are generic values posted somewhere here for bolts/nuts, but, when a diff is set up, the values assume you are building it, crushing the sleeve that is on the pinion to set the lash. In the past, on older stuff and up to my jeep D30 front, Chrysler rear, GM posi, and the rear diff on my '06 pick up, I have done the mark and tighten to the mark and had zero issues. As for engines and SPECIFIC pieces-parts....rods, mains, damper, flywheel, head bolts, that would be up to the manufacturer of the component. For that, a TM or FM would be needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks