• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51 Questions

USAFNB

SS,

I recently found what looks like an M51 (or A1/A2, cannot tell from photos I got). Is there any way to tell other than fender mounted air cleaner and stack exhaust if this truck is a gasser or diesel from photos? Also what are the re-power options, what will bolt up to the transmission other than mil engines (LDT, LDS, NTC250..etc). The truck has updated single piece 11x22.5 rear wheels and tires, standard two piece Mil front wheels and tires plus it has a winch. Body looks dirty but not beat up or trashed IMHO

What are thoughts on price based on photos? Gentlemen wants $800 but I probably wouldn't offer more than scrap since it is basically a big paper weight.

Finally what is the best way to get a non-running M-51 on a trailer, my wrecker is no where near this truck sadly. Would Tow bar and second truck be able to push it onto a trailer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

00R0R_bzZhwpVE41S_600x450.jpg00Q0Q_jvuPmLPmNqB_600x450.jpg00G0G_5Me9hX89roJ_600x450.jpg

red

Another truck with a towbar could push it onto a trailer just fine. As far as engine swaps go the NHC250 and other similar sized engines won't swap into that truck, the engine bay is too small. The 8.3L Cummins, International DT466/DT530 (couple others that use the same sized block), CAT C7, etc are the right size to be swapped in there. Just need the standard SAE2 bellhousing and some fabrication work.

USAFNB

Red! as usual I appreciate your expertise. Seems like I am trying to be your copy cat...you get a wrecker then I get one, you rescued an M51 and now I am looking into it. Maybe you should give me a heads up on your next big purchase so I know what to expect just on the east coast!

Do you think a Deuce would push this up on a trailer in low gear or it would have to be a 5 ton?

Thanks again buddy

red

Red! as usual I appreciate your expertise. Seems like I am trying to be your copy cat...you get a wrecker then I get one, you rescued an M51 and now I am looking into it. Maybe you should give me a heads up on your next big purchase so I know what to expect just on the east coast!

Do you think a Deuce would push this up on a trailer in low gear or it would have to be a 5 ton?

Thanks again buddy
Haha well if you're going to copy what I did then need to either part out the truck or turn it into a trailer.....

IMG_20171008_161316016.jpg

hahahaha. Mine is becoming one of the beds for the m816 and trailer.

I agree with 98G. So long as there is enough traction a deuce or even a 1 ton pickup could push it onto a trailer. Need at least a 5 ton to pull it safely though.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SS,

I recently found what looks like an M51 (or A1/A2, cannot tell from photos I got). Is there any way to tell other than fender mounted air cleaner and stack exhaust if this truck is a gasser or diesel from photos? Also what are the re-power options, what will bolt up to the transmission other than mil engines (LDT, LDS, NTC250..etc). The truck has updated single piece 11x22.5 rear wheels and tires, standard two piece Mil front wheels and tires plus it has a winch. Body looks dirty but not beat up or trashed IMHO

What are thoughts on price based on photos? Gentlemen wants $800 but I probably wouldn't offer more than scrap since it is basically a big paper weight.

Finally what is the best way to get a non-running M-51 on a trailer, my wrecker is no where near this truck sadly. Would Tow bar and second truck be able to push it onto a trailer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 703491View attachment 703492View attachment 703493
I don't know what scrap prices are in your area but here in mid-michigan that's worth about $1300 in scrap.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having a hard time IDing the engine from the harmonic balancer and water pump pulley. That poor truck looks to have sat for 20+ years. Expect it to need end to end exhaust, fuel system, torque rod ends, tires and brakes.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I'd guess it's originally a gas powered truck. Air horns on the fender, homemade west coast mirrors, no exhaust stack or air cleaner on the fender, no extra fender braces, and it looks like no in-tank fuel pump either. Hood is the "2 piece" style as well and maybe an offset windshield wiper?
It's worth $800 in parts/scrap easily, but will likely need a lot of time and money to fix it up so it's roadworthy.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice that it looks to have a hard top on the cab, not the usual rotted canvas top that let a lot of rain into the interior to ruin gauges, etc. To me, $800 is not bad, I would think well below scrap value, especially if you part it out. I gave that for a cab and long wheel base chassis gas 5 ton that we got running, had a recently rebuilt engine, but will never be able to be road-worthy. Cab is trash, no doors, seats almost non-existent, etc.

USAFNB

@71deuceAK - Thanks for the heads up! If I could have it moved from Alaska I would it looks much nicer than ones I see around here. I appreciate the heads up sir!

@Red - well HOPEFULLY this truck could be made roadworthy again, I am in no rush and don't NEED a dump truck yet but in time I definitely will on our property...bringing in gravel and cutting in roads. I don't think a non 6x6 could do the job, we have lots of clay and shale.

@NDT& EVIL DR.PORKCHOP - I spoke with the gentlemen last night and you guys were spot on. It was a R6602 gasser, engine is junk from what he says. truck has been sitting about 2 years and up until then he used it regularly as a side job. I had figured for It to be road worthy I would have to do brakes, fuel lines,torque rod ends, go through all 3 axles and replace seals, bearings...etc. but for $800 or less I think I could make it work. Don't need it yet just knock things out over time as it sits in my barn at the property.

as always thanks for all the advice and knowledge. I will try and set up some time to look at it next weekend. Pictures and more info to follow

USAFNB

@Recovery 4X4: Sam Weiner motors is just up the street from my old house, my dad went to high school with his son. They have some good running 6602's available for purchase last time we were up there looking around. If the truck does come home with me, I would plan on putting another gasser in it vise switching to a diesel for now. Maybe in the future I would swap but that's after I retire from active duty.

USAFNB

ALCON,

I decided to pass on this truck as it would have been a money pit to get road worthy again. if anyone is looking for M51 parts the gentlemen who has it was very friendly and IMHO fair priced. He had an additional Gasser motor, transmission and transfer case for the M51. If interested please message me!

Nick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks