• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51a2 flashers

derby

I recently pulled my dump out if its slumber. I was going over items like tires, fluids and lights. The headlights and taillights are fine. I had no turn signals or hazards. I assume a raccoon chewed the wires to the signals judging by the surprise in the battery box. I repaired the wires, the bo lights work but no turn signals. I think I may have fried something by turning on the signals with the damaged wires. Where is the flasher unit, and best place to buy a replacement? I have been out of the loop for some time.

derby

What TM do I need to check the turn signal circuits? I replaced the flasher and the turn signal switch, it only worked for a minute and I am back at square one.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unknown on the pub number. TM9-2320-211-xx, I think 211 was the M51A1/2 number. It is not here in the TM section though. A question, when the truck was retired, did they work? All the stuff worked for a bit after the stalk replacement then stopped? The stalks are known to screw up, so another used one is no guarantee. If it were me, I would whip out a DVOM and start checking grounds. Battery to engine, chassis, cab and dash. A cheat would be to make up a long jumper wire and go from B- directly to a clean ground on the dash or steering column, or straight to the stalk mount clamp and then see if it works.

derby

Everything worked properly when I parked it. I purchased it back in 08' and have had no electrical issues with it at all.
I replaced the stalk and flasher with new replacement parts. I may have to look harder at my repair and other parts of the harness for damage. I will give the long jumper a try also.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A short to ground for any of the four wires to the respective lights, front or rear, will wipe out your new switch, and maybe the flasher. Neither is very robust.

Carefully check all wiring looms end to end for damage, and repair anything found before trying again.

Refer to the TM, and run a temporary jumper with an inline fuse from +24 and go thru the individual circuits on the stalk plug to each signal light. A helper really saves a lot of running back and forth. Be careful not to pick any pin not going to a light for this test.

DG

rcflyer70

A short to ground for any of the four wires to the respective lights, front or rear, will wipe out your new switch, and maybe the flasher. Neither is very robust.

Carefully check all wiring looms end to end for damage, and repair anything found before trying again.

Refer to the TM, and run a temporary jumper with an inline fuse from +24 and go thru the individual circuits on the stalk plug to each signal light. A helper really saves a lot of running back and forth. Be careful not to pick any pin not going to a light for this test.

DG
I'm having a similar issue with the wiring in my M52A2. I found it easier to pull the harness from the truck and troubleshoot on my bench - currently tracing every wire to see if any are burned or shorted.
The TM's you want to start with are the following:

9-2320-211-20-2-1
9-2320-211-20-2-2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks