• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 vs M818

OldGoat

What is the difference between the M52a2 & the 818? I can tell that the engine is different, and the air filter location, but what else? Tire size, transmission, anything? Is the 54 just a older version?

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are asking us to compare a cargo truck to a tractor. So, one difference is the M54 is a cargo and the M818 is a tractor. I assume you meant M39 series vs. the M809 series. The M54 (really the M39 series) could also come with an overdrive tranny, although it better mates with an direct drive tranny as WESTECH pointed out. Other differences:
*the hood
*the fenders
*the winch drive shaft

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The later style Ross power steering is much more desirable. It is easily noted by the small steering wheel. There are other obvious signs under the front wheel well, but they are harder to describe. The Ross power steering came in the M809 series trucks and was retrofitted into older M39 series trucks...but not all of them. I owned an M52A1 that had the older steering. The older steering is fine, but the newer power steering is a bit more "powerful" and allows one more "expansion" space behind the steering wheel!;-)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joseph, good point about the different speeds. I've seen many trucks that specified different speeds on the data plate. I've even seen these discrepancies on M809 series dataplates. Some say MAX SPEED 50 MPH, others 52 MPH and yet others 54 MPH.

With regard to the OD tranny vs. the direct drive tranny, if you are driving on the highway...empty...the OD tranny is better because you achieve higher road speeds. If you are going to be hauling heavy loads, I much more prefer the direct drive transmission. Joe Young once had an M62A2 with an overdrive tranny. You could not shift her into fifth without a slight downhill grade and a tail wind! However, I had an M543A2 with the direct drive transmission; that truck would easily pull up to 45 MPH and maintain those speeds on reasonable highway grades. The negative...45 MPH is your max permissible road speed. Ask me how I know? I blew the head gasket by trying to maintain 47 MPH on the highway because I was not used to the direct drive transmission. So, if you want higher road speeds, go with the OD tranny. If you want more power, go with the direct drive tranny. I prefer the latter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks