• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543a2 blew a fuel line. Can't figure out how to access it

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys,
the flex line going from the T at the FDC, around the back of the FDC, to the right side of the IP head blew. I struggled to disconnect it at the T but got it off. I can't get to the fitting on the right side off of the IP. Any tips or tricks please? The fitting is the copper colored one in the center of the picture.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to see a pic sideways with how much room but. Wash down the head with brake cleaner cut off the plastic line at the fitting and unscrew the fitting from the head maybe.
You need to bypass the FDC so just install synflex push fitting at the head and one at the final fuel filter run new line.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to see a pic sideways with how much room but. Wash down the head with brake cleaner cut off the plastic line at the fitting and unscrew the fitting from the head maybe.
You need to bypass the FDC so just install synflex push fitting at the head and one at the final fuel filter run new line.
A picture from the side is tough because of the giant power steering unit. Also, the wrecker fenders are taller so you don't have access to the side of the motor. Unfortunately, It's nothing like my deuce ☹.
I washed everything down. Got it.
I even thought about cutting the line so I can maybe get a socket on it.
bypassing the FDC is an option if I can get the 45 degree fitting out of the side of the IP head.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What James said, and maybe a crow's foot wrench to tighten a new one back on.

ETA: When helping a club member earlier in year rebuild his MF IP on his 5-ton tractor, we had to remove the P/S assembly and a few other things to get to all the hoses & connections. It figures that the least accessible hose/fitting will always be the one to blow out on you, and always at the worst time....

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the front fender today. Got soldier B to help. Not too bad but I had to cut a few bolts that didn’t want to cooperate. I ended up putting in new fittings, bypassed the FDC, and went with std fuel line pressed onto barbed fittings with hose clamps. No leaks after start up. Next step is to re-assemble everything. Will post pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I use air line and a push lock Synflex fitting just about the same that was on there. Easy to hook up in a tight area. Also I don't use hose clamps with barb fittings as it can cut into the line.

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Per synflex site, air line won’t hold up against diesel which is why they make diesel line.
none the less, put the fender back on. No issues and I’m back in business.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the only sight that had the most info. Looks like there Synflex fuel line is made for real high pressures in the thousands of pounds where we have just 70 pounds. The truck came with nylon line and I would bet the newer Synflex air line is even a better than are old stuff. One would think it might be a DOT thing to use the correct line for liability reasons for manufactures. I know marine engines must have USCG approved fuel lines and in most cases must be a hard line from the fuel pump to the engine. I would trust Synflex air line for diesel over rubber hose but what ever you are comfortable using. Good thing you got it fixed.http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pct_506328.pdf

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks