• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54A2 mods, upgrades, conversions, etc

ArchAngel USMC

I know there has been posts where everyone has put up pics and talked about their work done on their rigs and all but I am on my phone which makes it extremely a PITA ;)
So if you don't mind post up your pics and links etc such as upgrade to bigger tires, add-ons or whatever ya got. And again, I'm sure there are threads with probably the same thing but I'm struggling here on this phone lol. I'm just really excited to have my 1st MV and looking for ideas of what to do to my rig. (1st being probably 395s or 365s for tires) cameringo_20171225_155030.jpg

162tcat

I sold mine a while back but I upgraded to Hemtt rims with 16.00R20's. Jegs shift boot item number 62380. Proper 50 weight oil in trans and T case. 20k BTU Universal cab heater off eBay installed under dash. Coolant filter. Dap 230 caulking in black to seal front window Frames up. Remote brake reservoir and Rhino lined cab floor. Probably some other misc stuff too. I'll post pics if I find any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

162tcat

I had no problem turning the 16s on mine but even the slightest hill at freeway speed would slow it down some. It was never designed to be a freeway machine though. When loaded I would do one through five in low range, shift to high and do four and five again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any different in height in the 395s vs 14s? Either better than the other?
395s are 45" or so. 14.00R20 are 47-48".

In today's market, you'll pay more for 14''s than you will for 16's and then in a year or two when you need one you won't be able to find it. 14s are no longer in use by the military.

If converting a 5ton to super singles 395s and 16''s are really the only two viable choices.

I've got an M925 that needs wheels and tires. I'll be using 395s.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
We have new 14.00 and 395s.

1400s are 49s so 1.5inches shorter than a 1600s.

1600s take alot of guts to move em. 1400s aren't so bad. 395s are a good overall tire. They aren't heavy without runflats (100lbs lighter than a 1600). They will make you faster up hill. I got close to 45,000 miles out of 8 XZL tires. 3 blowouts total. I had runflats installed and all highway miles. With 395s you wont have the front tandem axle bounce that 14.00s do. 14.00s seem to get eaten up by the road as well. Especially potholes and what I have noticed. I put around 32/35,000 miles on a set of 1400s before I wore them out. They were new when I installed them.

1600s will last longer mileage wise, but I am sure that isn't a factor for you.

I recommend Michelin XML 395s if you are going to be offroad more than on road. 9600lb weight rating and quite aggressive and reasonably priced. Goodyear MVT 395s are a good overall road and offroad tire. I do notice they seem to get the outside edges eaten up a bit more than most tires. Probably just soft. Rated for 9000lbs per tire. They seem to wear evenly and well on an LMTV. Your M39 series truck is comparable in weight to an LMTV.

We have ads in the classifieds for the prices on the tires and tread types.

It cost the same to ship 8 tires and wheels as it does 7. 2 pallets at 2600lbs for 8 tires/wheels to a business address in your zip is $550 for shipping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks