• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M62 Continental 6602 engine version

Joe Bertram

I need some help with an M62 project if anyone know the in and outs of the old gasser 6602.
I have a 55 IH M62 with a bad engine so we were able to locate an engine from sam winner on eBay and sit them side by side and there are several different accessories like the oil filter location that's different as well as the water pump configuration. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated

Joe

Joe Bertram

I'll do my best to post in order, od green engine is original one and shot. Lt green one is newer one we bought was listed as a takeout from a 5 ton bridge truck, came from sam winner at Akron Ohio via eBay

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well when it comes to usable 6602's, you get what you get and don't have a fit as they taught us in first grade. The block should be the same so you should be able to "re-dress" your new engine with the 5 ton accessories. It will be painful watching it go though $5.00 of gas just idling for 5 minutes.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 5-ton tractor with the 6602 will average some 3mpg bobtail on the highway.

That, and it has to be gas for fuel. No used oil. Drat.

On the good side, if you are not going to drive a lot, it does have a mean rumble (over 100 cubes per cylinder), and plenty of torque. Around 235 horsepower.

I drove an M543 (34,000 pounds) wrecker with the 6602 some 200 miles on the highway, it burned a bit over 200 gallons to make the trip. In those days, gas was about $1.50 per, so it wasn't TOO expensive.

Driving at night, I just loved the 3 foot blue flame out the exhaust.

DG

Joe Bertram

Very little driving, we've owned this since 96 straight from army when we bought it. Great family friend owns it had a stroke and can't do much besides watch me tinker. Truck has been sitting for about 8-10 years before that we just used it around town lifting things like dozer tracks for repairs. We also have a newer Cummins 1970 wrecker

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks