• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A1 vs dead tree

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Screenshot_20230417_074036.jpg
So, in order to fix the hops barn (my workshop) as in, jack it up, push the walls back out and give it a real foundation, that dead tree (red arrow) needed to go.
Screenshot_20230416_215621.jpg
Ran out about 110' of cable (7/8" dia) in a straight line with atv, then looped end back so I could get it up to the change direction snatch block.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Screenshot_20230416_220149.jpg
The plan being to pull the tree away from barn, by a snatch block redirect down to a split pull on the dead tree. Rather than pulling it towards the only place I could get the truck, risking the tree drifting towards the back side of the barn.
Screenshot_20230416-134859_Gallery.jpg

Initial setup of the compensating bridle.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Screenshot_20230416-134411_Gallery.jpg
Pulling slack but heavy cable, down towards the tree.

Screenshot_20230416-134947_Gallery.jpg
Winch cable to a 5/8" snatch block, with a 5/8" compensating cable bridle and to two large continuous slings chokered on to tree. The snatch block allows the two points of attachment on the tree, to stay under even load as the angles change when it goes over. This spreads the pull, and hopefully avoids snapping tree above ground at on point of focussed load.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Screenshot_20230417-212410_Gallery.jpg
Wifey was actually operating winch for the main pull, didn't want to video as close as I wanted the shot!.. but she stopped when back of truck got dragged to the edge fo the bank.

20230416_094128.jpg
so for future heavier pulls, I am going to somehow add a little ground reaction device.

M984E1 spades. I am considering a sub frame, off of the fifth wheel, triangulated with the hold down loops (3" dia), that the spades fix to, probably 1/2 way down to the ground for better angle 'of attack'. I'd then have to switch threads, to 5 ton mods!

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All in all, this worked out really well. There was no uncontrolled crashing down of a cut tree. The roots put up a fight all the way to the ground, never once falling faster than the winch pulled it. Even increasing the resistance at the end when we tried to up root the whole thing - pulling the truck across the ground.

The 40,000 lb winch on the M916(A1) is definately a two man job without a secondary and smaller "pull out winch". There is no free spool though there is the engine idle increase and the twin speed hyd motor.

7/8" cable has quite the memory, to the point that I have a wedged shaped block of wood to jam between the last wrap off of the spool and the hyd tank, when I want to go set up kit etc., without the free cable birds nesting on the drum, untill I can get the end tensioned.

As you can see from some of the 'screen shots' I videoed this exercise, but haven't yet worked how to edit all the packages.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks