• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 running used oils

RPMRPM

is anyone running a M920 with a multi fuel filter setup stepping down in microns each filter and just dumping unfiltered used motor oil in the truck and running it, if you are how often do you go through filters, and if you had any issues with the injection pump? Also, do you mix it with some diesel because of the thickness of the oil or is it fine just running used motor oil?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
is anyone running a M920 with a multi fuel filter setup stepping down in microns each filter and just dumping unfiltered used motor oil in the truck and running it, if you are how often do you go through filters, and if you had any issues with the injection pump? Also, do you mix it with some diesel because of the thickness of the oil or is it fine just running used motor oil?
I wouldn't do it.

I have a 3 filter setup. 40, 20, 10 micron and I go thru filters every 7k miles on regular diesel.

RPMRPM

Some of the abrasives in used oil are smaller than 2 microns and will still do damage.

I wouldn't do it.
Do they make any filter that are small enough to filter them out? Since I’ve got a few shops I’m friends with that told me I could have their used oil and filling the truck for free(except filters) sounds great as long as I don’t tear up the pump

RPMRPM

Some of the abrasives in used oil are smaller than 2 microns and will still do damage.

I wouldn't do it.
If not would they really damage the pumps on the 855 big cam motors since I mix used motor oil in my 12V P-pump ram some times and I haven’t had any problems

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you’re just running your truck occasionally and not for your livelihood, and your engine is in good shape, a little added WMO probably won’t hurt it in your time of owning it….like 5-10% to your tank of diesel, it will help with lubricating the fuel system.

However, even these small amounts require screening and polishing as Wes mentioned through a centrifuge. I believe another member, Will Wagner, talked about the finer openings in Cummins injectors that aren’t friendly to debris that may be in the WMO.

In short, you’ll spend a couple thousand $$$ for a quality centrifuge and for filters, piping, etc… as well as hundreds of man-hours’ labor just to produce an additive for your fuel. Whereas, you could just buy some new-in-container 2-stroke oil to add to your fuel and save you time as well as $$$.

YMMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks