• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Brake Leak

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought a 1984 M923 that runs and drives great but I have an substantial air leak when the brakes are pressed. The air is escaping into the intake. I have read the TMs and hope to start pressure testing it in order this weekend. My question is what kind of pressure gauge would work best for these tests.
I am assuming I have a bad diaphragm or two.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Several active threads the past month on this. Everything from treadle valves to relay valves. Simple way to do this is to figure out which tank is leaking down and attack the appropriate system that way.

If the secondary side is dropping pressure start at the Q2 valve in front of the steer axle, remove the vent line from there and see if it dumps lots of air when the pedal is depressed.

Primary side is leaking we start at the vent block on the frame and work the way thru the system.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several active threads the past month on this. Everything from treadle valves to relay valves. Simple way to do this is to figure out which tank is leaking down and attack the appropriate system that way.

If the secondary side is dropping pressure start at the Q2 valve in front of the steer axle, remove the vent line from there and see if it dumps lots of air when the pedal is depressed.

Primary side is leaking we start at the vent block on the frame and work the way thru the system.
Are there any gauges that work better than others for these tests. I’d prefer to buy the correct one the first time verses wasting money on the wrong tools for the job?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
No tools needed. You have air leaking to the intake stack. Only certain air valves on the truck vent there. Q2 Valve, front and rear relay valves over the axles, brake pedal valve, transfer case interlock solenoid, R4 valve in the step.

Basically the lines going into the block in the frame give a lead to which component is failing and where the air leak is coming from.

Basically a 5/8, 13/16,7/8, and 15/16 wrench would be needed

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No tools needed. You have air leaking to the intake stack. Only certain air valves on the truck vent there. Q2 Valve, front and rear relay valves over the axles, brake pedal valve, transfer case interlock solenoid, R4 valve in the step.

Basically the lines going into the block in the frame give a lead to which component is failing and where the air leak is coming from.

Basically a 5/8, 13/16,7/8, and 15/16 wrench would be needed
I’ve traced the leak back to the QR valve in the front of the truck. Is there a way to clean/rebuild that or is it best to just replace it?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The new Q2 valve is not threaded on the bottom down facing port like my old one. Is there a different way to connect this or did I just get the wrong part?
Post a pic of what you have? The new part i mean

@fuzzytoaster had an issue awhile back getting the correct one, due to its design I can't find his old thread though

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a pic of what you have? The new part i mean

@fuzzytoaster had an issue awhile back getting the correct one, due to its design I can't find his old thread though
I don’t have a picture right now but the new one is exactly the same except the bottom exhaust port is not threaded. The tee where the two bottom hoses connect will not be able to be attached to the new one.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks