• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Missing Spring Source?

wsucougarx

Hey guys, I was out adjusting my idle today and noticed something. It appears I am missing a spring. First of all, anyone know a source where I can get a replacement? Second, what exactly is this spring hooked to? I moved the assy by hand and it does have tension on it like there is a spring somewhere in the chain. Please advise.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trans Kickdown

I believe that what you are seeking is the 3-4 inch spring for the transmission Kick down cable (not sure if that is the correct term) on the bottom cable as the top is the throttle cable that also has a long 6-7 inch spring going back to the bracket right under cab/pedal that pivots.

Danl

Danl M915A1 case farm tractor

something like that I would go to Cummin of Maine, I'm sure that they are not out there But you must have a Cummins out let out there try looking up cummins .they will pop up

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't be a Cummins item. How are you adjusting the idle?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
spring picture

I have attatched a picture of my m923 with the NHC250. It came with the transmission kick down cable spring.

I have pulled the same spring and throttle linkage set up for another ss member off a m931 tractor.

Both are the original series not a1 or a2.

NAPA sells a varied assortment of springs and universal springs in the Balkamp line where you bend and cut to fit the ends. They should be able to give you something close with your measurements. This is nothing more than a simple return tension spring.

I hope this helps!

Juan

Attachments

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a spring off a M923A1.
2.75" Inside ends
1.250" just the spring part
.845" OD
.060 wire size

Let us know if you find a fit at ACE.

Attachments

wsucougarx

I made a trip to various ACE hardware stores in Olympia today. I was unable to track down springs close to the one posted above. Anyone have any ideas where to get one?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I adjusted the Throttle Lever cable so my truck would idle between 500-600. As it was before, the Throttle cable lever had to be pulled out 2.5 inches to idle at 550.
Idle adjustment is an internal adjustment. You need a special tool to do it because it's done at the governor pack while it's running. Only takes a second but makes a bit of a mess. Take it to a local pump shop and see if they'll do it for you the right way.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
For springs like that, I usually order spring stock from McMaster-Carr, cut off a piece of the right length, and then bend the hooks in the end. They have both finished springs and spring stock that you cut yourself. I don't see anything with the same outside coil diameter or finished length as the original spring, but it looks like there are many options which will probably work well. I would pick something with the same wire diameter and close to the original coil outside diameter, then cut it to the same original length. That should provide tension that is close enough to the original, because I don't think this application requires great precision.

Now I need to go see if that spring is missing on my truck. I'd like to replace my throttle return spring as a matter of course, possibly with a double spring. I've lost throttle return springs twice in my life so far, and I don't want to lose another one!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks