• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 radio

JohnnyBM931A2

Those Military Guys sell an overhead console with a speaker for softtops and hardtops. It also can be fitted with a radio, or whatever else you want. I also recall seeing a member here with a radio mounted underneath the dash.. Can't remember who it was though.

71DeuceAK

If I did one, I'd probably do it under the dash, or mounted to the cab top (hard top of course). Standard aftermarket car unit...but that's just me.

mdemars03

Those Military Guys sell an overhead console with a speaker for softtops and hardtops. It also can be fitted with a radio, or whatever else you want. I also recall seeing a member here with a radio mounted underneath the dash.. Can't remember who it was though.

I have one of the overhead consoles from TMG. They do work and are nice, however I have noticed when driving if you have the volume up enough to be able to hear the radio over the noise of the truck you lose sound quality from speaker distortion. The setup is nice, but I would recommend swapping to a better speaker to go with the rest of the set up. Another nice feature is the extra toggle switches overhead for accessories. The slight down side is it is a little pricy, but in my personal opinion worth the cost.

mdemars03

100_11341.jpg

There is another idea. Build an ammo can radio. It can be put where you want it and possibly even moved into a cargo bed for when you aren't driving if you run a power supply to the bed. Plus you can keep it a little more hidden so you don't have to have a civilian radio visible if you want a more stock look in the cab.

The pic is just one I got from a Google search and is not mine. Just throwing it out there for ideas. I personally have an overhead console from Those Military Guys with a radio.

71DeuceAK

I've thought about that too, owning such a unit already. Especially in a multifuel Deuce. However, I'd like something a little more permanent.

74M35A2

I'm in on this also. I have a Garmin GPS satellite navigation radio from a 2011 Grand Cherokee, and then bought some high end amps and speakers to combat the cab noise without distortion as others mentioned. This was why I chucked 2 batteries out the window to make room for the amps and sub. I previously saw other members good mounts of radio head units and speakers, I will post the radio one tomorrow when I am at work, as it is on that computer. For speakers they built boxes into the rear cab corners (hard too). Looked pretty decent.

JohnnyBM931A2

I use the "3M TEKK WorkTunes Hearing Protector" that blocks wind and engine noise and can be used in any truck or while mowing. Cost is around $38-49, shop around.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...Assist?N=5927440+3294427467+3294529207&rt=rud
Just be careful with those if you're driving to different states. I know here in Illinois it's illegal to drive while wearing headphones, etc. The only exception is the use of a Bluetooth setup in one ear, because cell phone use while driving was made illegal here a few years ago.

I believe the stated reason for headphones being illegal is that it limits your ability to properly react to traffic, especially when it comes to avoiding emergency vehicles.

JohnnyBM931A2

Yup. I've always made a point to NOT give cops a reason to pull me over :recovry4x4: So far it's worked pretty well. Only been pulled over once in the last 10 years, and it was because my company didn't tell me that my work van is supposed to be inspected every 6 months. It was fine in the end though.. I made my company pay for the ticket, and I also made them pay for me to take the online traffic school to get it off of my record :)

Csm Davis

Just be careful with those if you're driving to different states. I know here in Illinois it's illegal to drive while wearing headphones, etc. The only exception is the use of a Bluetooth setup in one ear, because cell phone use while driving was made illegal here a few years ago.

I believe the stated reason for headphones being illegal is that it limits your ability to properly react to traffic, especially when it comes to avoiding emergency vehicles.
I have wondered about the headphones thing before as I believe that it's illegal in most states but required by the military in many vehicles. Also the deuce will actually damage your ears so will the court rule that it is okay because of year of manufacture like blinkers on old cars? Many don't realize that you don't have to update your vehicle as new laws are passed.

Kvrazelm923

I used a fifty cal ammo can for my head unit, it has a toggle switch to act as the ignition switch, a 12 port for gps or what ever and a cup holder on one end, I kinda butchered my battery box for some 6x9s it works though sounds really good and didn't have to really change anything about the truck except the holes in the battery box, used a $99 pioneer combo with head unit, blue tooth phone speaker , 2- 6x9 and 2 6 in rounds, plus the cup holder switch and 12volt port spent about 160 bucks.

JohnnyBM931A2

I have wondered about the headphones thing before as I believe that it's illegal in most states but required by the military in many vehicles. Also the deuce will actually damage your ears so will the court rule that it is okay because of year of manufacture like blinkers on old cars? Many don't realize that you don't have to update your vehicle as new laws are passed.
You would probably be ok in a deuce.. I think those even have a sticker in the cab saying that ear protection is required, correct? It's not like they really pull over MV's anyway, unless you do something really stupid.

infidel got me

I used a water proof marine box by pyle. I mounted it high up on the windshield post between the two halves. I made a little plate (shelf)for it to sit on and screwed it to the post. It is well out of the way of vision. I used the water proof box as the trucks do cry a little in the rain. The under dash thing was kind of sketchy as it doses tend to leak some in extreme weather. Part # on the box is plmrcb3. I painted it od and it looks military.

74M35A2

This is not mine, I saved the pic when I saw it, so credit to them not me, it looks like a decent job. There is insulation, sun visors, radio, CB, creative fab of interior light, etc...

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks