• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923....Should I do it?

bratpackdad

Hey guys, I've been away for a bit due to an injury. I'm glad to be back!

I posted an ad for another M35A2 however, I ran across a very clean M923 for sale and I would like to get some feedback. If you own one, can you give me your impression of the truck. Should I go for it or stick with another M35A2.

*I don't haul anything but Girl Scouts, wives and beer coolers so it's for show not for go.*

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hey guys, I've been away for a bit due to an injury. I'm glad to be back!

I posted an ad for another M35A2 however, I ran across a very clean M923 for sale and I would like to get some feedback. If you own one, can you give me your impression of the truck. Should I go for it or stick with another M35A2.

*I don't haul anything but Girl Scouts, wives and beer coolers so it's for show not for go.*
Wives is plural, which means more then one, this would take a lot of FULL beer coolers, man you are brave

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well at first I was concerned you had a 923 and were going to bob it, which is Just Wrong. As far as buying one, I think that is always a great idea. I really like mine.

moriboy

The 923s are an awesome machine. Can't really compare to a deuce though. One thing about the 923 is they are really puny on the hills! Much more so than my deuce.

Hoefler

I have one and a Duece and M35A3. Like all of them. M923 is a sweet truck and fun to drive. Mine has been solid and trouble free. Once I singled mine out, it had the right look about her.
Pete

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I just joined the 900 series club.......since you are using it for light work you should have no problem with the lack of power in the "Nifty 250".

The 900 series are more user friendly with power steering, quieter/larger cab and built in heater.

When you put the 395's or 1400's on them they look downright mean.

This is my new baby.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I also joined the M939 series club recently. I don't have any road miles on mine yet because I'm waiting on registration paperwork, but I really like it so far. It's definitely a bigger beast than a deuce! The automatic transmission and power steering are really nice, and I trust the full air brakes much more than the stock single loop brakes in a deuce.

Here's mine:

M923 Gets its Cargo Cover » Mark's Green Pages

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just joined the 900 series club.......since you are using it for light work you should have no problem with the lack of power in the "Nifty 250".

The 900 series are more user friendly with power steering, quieter/larger cab and built in heater.

When you put the 395's or 1400's on them they look downright mean.

This is my new baby.
Hey WM, I guess it's been a while since you rolled around that 5-ton brake drum. Must have forgotten how heavy it was. :-D

I've got both. I can't really say one is better than the other. The deuce has become more my "play toy" but when it's time for real work I use my M939.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You should always choose your words carefully since you may have to eat them....I tend to use chocolate flavored ones.:mrgreen:

The decsion was not made lightly.....I still love my work deuce but the 5 ton will be a lot easier on my bum left knee. I also like the straight air brakes on the 900.

I may bob the deuce since I have a set of HEMMT rims and the bolt in adaptors to put the four 395's I bought last week on it.....I also have a line on a neat little flat bed that would look good on it.

91W350

Like deuces, not all 923s were created equal. We have ten running now and a couple seem to have much more power than the rest. I am with Wreckerman, that auto sure is easier on the knees. I had no desire to own one until I drove Jeremy and Karl's 925s. Then we got a few in the yard and I have been shuttling equipment around with them. The larger cab is really nice and I like the wide hood when driving, makes the edge of the right fender much easier to judge. We have trucks on several different tires and I like the 1100 20 Goodyears best. The only two complaints I have are a super wide turning radius and they have killer springs. My deuces are Cadillacs in the ride department. Not bad on the roadways, but get it in roadgrader chatter, ruttted areas, or rocks and slow is the way to go! Their biggest asset in my book is braking, they are super....almost too good. Glen

BTW, batteries under a seat seven or eight feet off of the ground suck!

ARYankee

I have a 923 as well and agree with most of what has been said. I do like it a little bit better than the deuce just because of the power steering, automatic, and large tires. I also like being able to look into semis :) I would suggest taking one for a spin and see what you think.

Last edited:

rrrr

Comfort, ride, ease of driving the 9 series trucks are unbeatable.
The deuce looks great, lots of parts available as well as a great knowledge base on the forum. They are cheaper to buy and operate as well.

Everything on a 9 series truck is bigger and heavier. I own both and each has it benefits and draw backs. When I added air o matic steering to my deuce it made it much easier to drive. You can get some great deals on deuce's. Check the classifieds here.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks