• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Sparta to Baton Rouge, LA

M925

You have to think of the cost to go pick it up....the price of diesel, the cost to drive there the cost to drive a car back.

I'm going to say 263 gallons of diesel. National price of $3.886 = $1,025.26

Plus the cost to drive there and drive your car back......one break down could double or triple your cost. Hotels and meals....and anything you need for the truck.

I say ship it. I did a 560 mile pick up and it was a bear for the person driving the truck. This is one reason I will pay more for a truck that is closer.

You may get off easier, they may leave you a full tank of diesel! My first truck had a full tank! and the second had one half!

M925

It depends on the truck you are buying.....the pictures can be deceiving. You may get there and all the tires be dry rotted. It could have a major leak....or something else like bad batteries.

The truck behind me in the description didn't say it ran, but it also didn't say it didn't run.....bad batteries. We jumped it at the GL site....the driver turned it off when we stopped....

I paid $750 for someone to low boy it 140 miles. (He had to deadhead back home). Which I figure it would have cost almost $200 to drive it that far.

1134 miles in a M923 is no joke.......I would ship it. Too far....That is a lot of bouncing.

It really depends on the truck you buy.....it would take a big set of go-nads to drive it back......it's been done. These are very slow on the interstate. very very slow old goats.

To me it sounds like a 3 to 5 day operation as well.

I'm just going to throw a number out there to drive it back yourself since there are so many variables: $2,000.

Last edited:

RedBlok

I have driven these in the military years ago. I just got mine from Sparta last weekend. I paid somebody to haul it. I ended up finding another member in PA who bought a truck the on the same day. We partnered up and split the shipping. That's the best way to do it. It's been done before, but it is a long drive in a vehicle you don't know about. They don't drive like a regular truck, they demand your full attention when driving them. Good luck on your auction and with whatever decision you make.

M925

I'd be careful about who you ship with as well. I've read stories about a popular website used to ship....

A guy posts a ad to ship a car. The shipper takes the car....never shows up at it's destination....

The guy's car ended up in Mexico....and he had to hire an international lawyer to get it back.....

Make sure the shipper is legite with a DOT Number and Motor Carrier Number.

roofconsult

Thanks for all the comments. I was figuring about 125 gallons of diesel at about $3.60. I'm on the road a lot and can handle the driving and have a friend willing to be my follower. But again my biggest fear is a break down on the road and what it would cost. To me that is the big variable.......if not for that I would leave tomorrow and drive. I guess I could always figure on one of y'all bailing me out if I break down:beer:

M925

A M923 gets 4.3 mpg.....263 gallons.

It has a range of 350 miles on a 85 gallon tank. It's in the TM. Four fill ups. Could be $1,200.

Try to get roadside assistance through your insurance.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks