• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 transfer case shifting problems...

Tomko

I am a new owner and new member. The truck worked fine in high gear until I put in low. After that when i put in the truck back in high, the engine dies when you shift the truck into reverse. I am sure this is covered some where on the site, but I wasn't able to find it?

thanks, in advance for the help.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom above steering wheel there's a yellow warning label and it reads that you should not operate truck in low reverse.
Nobody would read that label and operate truck in reverse so they fixed it so it would not.
The transfer case will not take the forces of all 6 axels in low reverse.

You are able to bypass all of this but I won't it's not worth the risk to me.
The cost and the pain in the rear it would be to have to fix .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M923 "A" what?

Tomko

M932a2 w/w.

I will go through the manuals. Yes I knew about not using reverse in low. We were test driving the truck, and when we tried to put truck back in high, it was not happy, and then would start to stall.

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks like to be rolling to shift transfer case and it has to be in netrual
If you can't get it in gear try airing truck down then shift into high or low

Tomko

These trucks like to be rolling to shift transfer case and it has to be in neutral
If you can't get it in gear try airing truck down then shift into high or low
I tried to roll it last night, it will shift into high, and will drive forward, but as soon as you stop & put it into reverse (cautiously) the truck will slightly lunge, and kill the motor? I will need to read more about the air down, I am not familiar with this tactic. Thanks again for your input.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a safety switch that is activated when the truck is in low range to kill the engine if the truck goes in reverse while in low range? If so, could that switch be stuck so it does not know it is out ofnlownrange? Just a thought.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a safety switch that is activated when the truck is in low range to kill the engine if the truck goes in reverse while in low range? If so, could that switch be stuck so it does not know it is out ofnlownrange? Just a thought.
No kill low reverse switch, Just torque converter lock up and transfer case interlock unlock. As someone said if the button get stuck or does not release rigth it will stay stuck in trans,lock up. The best cleaner would be contack cleaner sprayed into the buton next on my list would beWD40. Sometimes my button seems not to disengage the trans. lockup and if I click the button a couple of times in netrual I can feel the lockup kicking in and out, then after I do that a couple of times she seems to unlock correctely.

74M35A2

No, but why don't you tell us all about all the switches that your truck has.

74M35A2

No kill low reverse switch, Just torque converter lock up and transfer case interlock unlock. As someone said if the button get stuck or does not release rigth it will stay stuck in trans,lock up. The best cleaner would be contack cleaner sprayed into the buton next on my list would beWD40. Sometimes my button seems not to disengage the trans. lockup and if I click the button a couple of times in netrual I can feel the lockup kicking in and out, then after I do that a couple of times she seems to unlock correctely.
Sorry to thread-jack, but tell me a little more about this? I notice when I am at a standstill, and even in neutral I think, and I push my transfer case push-button in, my truck will clunk forward an ever small amount. Very repeatable, almost same as you describe, and my T case shifts terrible. Almost have to air-down to get out of low and back into high. On M925A2. PM if you don't want to clog this thread, I should spend more time reading the transfer case air line woes, as I know most of this is covered there, but you hit something I noticed right on the head.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries 74M. The button does two things. It releases the air from the transfer case interlock which locks the transfer case high/low rod. The interlock on the transfer case is spring loaded so without air in the tanks the high/low rod can move and is not locked. This is why some say they can switch from high to low before the tanks build up air or they hit the brakes and try to empty the air tanks. Then the button also locks the transmission in 5th gear lockup to take pressure off the transfer case when shifting from high/low. So for the truck to act right both things have to happen. Sometimes I can get the button pushed and everything is working no problem but the high /low just won't fully drop into range. Then I release the button and hold slight pressure up or down which ever I am trying for and put the Transmission in gear and out once and that helps to engage the lever compleately.

Tomko

No worries 74M. The button does two things. It releases the air from the transfer case interlock which locks the transfer case high/low rod. The interlock on the transfer case is spring loaded so without air in the tanks the high/low rod can move and is not locked. This is why some say they can switch from high to low before the tanks build up air or they hit the brakes and try to empty the air tanks. Then the button also locks the transmission in 5th gear lockup to take pressure off the transfer case when shifting from high/low. So for the truck to act right both things have to happen. Sometimes I can get the button pushed and everything is working no problem but the high /low just won't fully drop into range. Then I release the button and hold slight pressure up or down which ever I am trying for and put the Transmission in gear and out once and that helps to engage the lever compleately.
Thanks, for the tips, I will look into it tonight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks