• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 Front Axle inter seal problem

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have replaced the inter seal on my M925 front right three times now. The seals are getting damaged on the top as they sit in the housing.
It looks like the axle shift is hitting the seal at the top and damaging the seal.

I have replaced the spindle bushing and the axle has no free play when you remove the hub.
The u-joint feels good, the king pins have no play.

I have replaced the seals in other trucks without any problems and I am out of things to look at.
Any ideas?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went through this same thing a while back. It's a lot of work to tear everything down and put it back together just to see it still leaking. I did this 4 times. None of mine were damaged or deformed though. They just leaked.

My original had a slight leak so I replaced it. The first replacement was NOS and leaked a little worse. I replaced the spindle bushing while I was in there. The second one was new production and leaked like it wasn't even in there, as did the third new production seal. The third was pressed in with a seal installer I made to make sure it wasn't getting damaged when it seated it. Ended up installing a NOS retainer with seal already installed. Installed it with the same installer after a slight modification, using silicone around the seating surface. All the seals were test fit on the shaft before install and fit nicely.

It's back to a slight leak like it originally was. Our Bearings and Drive rep at work was going to make me a Speedi-sleeve for the sealing surface on the axle shaft, even though its smooth as glass, but I've moved on. I just pull one of the lower king pin plate bolts and let it drain into a cup about once about month. Much easier, lol.

I'll give it a go one more time if somebody has a groundbreaking idea. I don't intend to go back in there though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I replaced two of mine and after that I was done. They just don't hold up especially under a lot of turning and use. I put the grease gun to mine every week or so when I am on the road. Then I take a foam paint brush and use it on a tub of grease and just tab it on the outside. seems to protect really well.

I also drilled and tapped a 1/8" hole in my drive flange and added a grease fitting so I can get grease in from that way as well.

sandcobra164

This is actually a pretty enlightening thread. My Deuce never had this issue and my M923 just started doing this, same side. I need to replace my boots but based on input so far, I think I will just put zippers on, clean everything, lube everything, and put some de-splined caps on the fronts so that nothing is rotating on the front axle. I will keep the splined caps in my tool kit along with an electric impact should I need the front axle engaged. Cheaper than locking hubs and only about a 10 minute at most conversion from 6X4 to 6X6 when needed.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This is actually a pretty enlightening thread. My Deuce never had this issue and my M923 just started doing this, same side. I need to replace my boots but based on input so far, I think I will just put zippers on, clean everything, lube everything, and put some de-splined caps on the fronts so that nothing is rotating on the front axle. I will keep the splined caps in my tool kit along with an electric impact should I need the front axle engaged. Cheaper than locking hubs and only about a 10 minute at most conversion from 6X4 to 6X6 when needed.
Ive got a set of desplined and deshouldered flanges joseph for $125 shipped. They can even work on the rear in an emergency if you need to bind up an axle. A regular front flange will not fit on the rear hub.

acesneights1

If I'm understanding you correct you mean the axle shaft seal in the axle tube ?
sounds like the bushing in the spindle is worn. I know this can be an issue on a deuce.
Nevermind.saw that you did them.
I will say seal quality is questionable on a lot of this surplus stuff. They guy I get mine from now has been fairly consistent. Think I got one bad one out of about 50 so far.
a few others I dealt with sent me old crap with rust on them.
I was not impressed with the National seal either. The military surplus ones looked beefier.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your referring to the first two post, I think they both replaced this bushing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks