• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Pickup Questions Ft. Riley KS.

tjwareusmc

Frequent SS reader, first time posting- mostly because I have not been able to fulfill my dream of a cool military truck until TODAY!

I won a M925A2 today at Ft. Riley and I'm pretty excited but I'm looking at a 490 mile recovery to Keller, TX. My main issue is that the truck has super singles and at least two rear tires are completely shot. I'm looking around for some tires that I can purchase to take with me up there, will I be allowed to change the tires in the lot? What kind of "work" can you do to the truck on-site? I am a bit of a newb when it comes to the entire process but I do have experience with big trucks and have driven several different models while in the Marine Corps.

I will be reading up on the TM's and have already downloaded all relevant M939 TMs to my iPad. One thing I do not have experience with is the beadlocks, but if I am allowed some time in the yard to get the tires swapped out I think I will be OK. Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Ue413

Can't swear to it, but the GP guys at Riley are really decent and might.

i would call up the GP contact you will meet at Riley and ask him if he has any issues with your plan.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most sites will let you check the fluids, jump start. Anything more than that is frowned upon, call the site manager and ask.
Also, most of these sites have local towing businesses that have experience recovering vehicles. You can prep the vehicle
at their facility. Ask the site manager, they normally have good relations w/ the local folks.
M925A2, nice truck, read the operators manual twice before you roll down the highway.
JC

tjwareusmc

Yes, that would be great!

Is the truck going to be "on-base" at Ft. Riley? I am retired military and thought about getting a room on base, probably could do some repairs in the parking lot if I needed to. I've been to dozens of bases but never Ft. Riley so I don't really know how things are there. Also one of the rear tires is really shredded so I don't see it going far under its own power, and probably wouldn't be able to be towed so it would make sense to do the tire change in place, if I had 2 tires on rims already I don't think it would be an issue but since I will have to break them down and remount both tires it could take a while. Plus it had CTIS, which is cool....unless you're in my situation.

smittyjr355

My recommendation would be to have truck hauled. Ive bought about 10 trucks from Ft Riley and I'm not sure I would have drove any of them 500 miles. If you need a contact for real reasonable shipping let me know. If you plan on driving truck I would buy already inflated tires on wheels. The last thing you want to be doing is breaking down tires. And you will need new Orings if you break the wheels apart.

tjwareusmc

smittyjr355, that may be the wisest route for me. I would appreciate that info, do you have a ballpark of what I can expect to pay to have a 5 ton hauled 500 miles? I'm considering the self-recovery to save a few $$$ but I am well aware that even if I drive it off the lot I still may end up having it hauled part of the way if something major goes wrong. And I don't think those tires are something that most commercial tire repair outfits will have on-hand if I get stranded on the side of the road. I was planning to go ahead and take a set of 4 up there with me but I didn't even know about the o-rings. Most of my tractor-truck tire changing was on old-school rigs with the 2 piece rims so I'm a little out of my depth with the 14R20's, CTIS etc.

smittyjr355

Give Greg a call in the morning his number is 941 888 2366. Tell him Matt smith sent you. He should be able to give you a quote right over the phone. Yeah splitting these rims can be a bear and something I would not recommend doing in a parking lot.

lindsey97

Tires mounted on rims will be available at Ft. Riley, just ask and have cash with you. If that doesn't work, go to Glen at BFR Metals in Salina KS. He has tires and parts.

I am located at exit 60 off interstate 35 if you break down, I have tools, 5 tons, towbar and pretty much anything needed to assist you.

Based on my past 3 trips to riley, they will let you work on the truck for an extended period of time, brian and cody are very helpful and sometimes supply you with little needed parts if you are nice..........

Last edited:

jerry v

I used a company called irish express out of kansas about 20 miles from base mine was shipped 1000 miles and cost me 1945.00. cheaper ,is that there location to base. do this on your own . If gp does it they will charge you a fee.

tjwareusmc

Wow, thanks for all of the help guys! This may sound dumb but are they going to be able to load/unload it with 2 or 3 flat tires on the back? It says the engine and drivetrain are functional after a boost so will they just put it in low range and let the front wheels help pull itself up into the transporter?

Obviously if the tires are already trashed I'm not worried about further damage to them and I doubt it will hurt the wheels with that short of a distance, what do you guys think?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks