• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 to M932LA2 Conversion

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys. I am moving the axles on my 925 to match a 931. I will also be adding a sleeper, air ride seats, round tanks, pyro, turning it up and governor springs. I found all the dimensions from a 931 data plate, but the rear drive shaft flange looks too close to the hitch cross member. I'm 46in from rear frame to center lift point on axles and 53in from tip of pintle hook to same place on lift point. Is there a difference in hitch cross members or can some one pull a measurement from the drive shaft flange to closest crossmember on a 931? I am getting ready to drill a lot of holes and would like it to be in the correct place. Picture is from over head. Any help would be awesome thanks!

image.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have my M931A2 parked outside. I will be glad to take some pictures of anything you need and same with the measurements.

M931A2 - 2 of 2.jpgM931A2 - 1 of 2.jpg

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Are you converting the cargo to a tractor or just shortening the wheelbase?

I have a M923A2 that I'm considering putting a 5th wheel on but I'm going to make it a long wheel base tractor rather than shortening the frame.

My intent is to remove the spare tire rack and put a shortened drop side bed between the back of the cab and the 5th wheel. The exhaust will either be rerouted down and under or I'll put stacks in the mini-bed.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That gap is approximately 7/8" between back of rear frame rail and the flange.

Measured 40.25" from the inside of the rear Boogie brace that is bolted on the frame (on the right side), and 40" on the left to the back of the frame rails. I assume I am bending the tape measure to get the extra .25", or tolerances are very sloppy on these things.

Last edited:

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That gap is approximately 7/8". Measured 40.25" from the inside of the rear Boogie brace that is bolted on the frame (on the right side), and 40" on the left. I assume I am bending the tape measure to get the extra .25", or tolerances are very sloppy on these things.
Awesome thanks. I'm going to go with it.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Are you converting the cargo to a tractor or just shortening the wheelbase?

I have a M923A2 that I'm considering putting a 5th wheel on but I'm going to make it a long wheel base tractor rather than shortening the frame.

My intent is to remove the spare tire rack and put a shortened drop side bed between the back of the cab and the 5th wheel. The exhaust will either be rerouted down and under or I'll put stacks in the mini-bed.
I'm going to make a long wheel base tractor. It already looks killer with the axles moved! I played with the idea of stretching the frame to make it even longer, but I'm going to keep it under control on the first tractor conversion.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, I see now. From the first post I thought you were matching the tractor wheelbase. In fact you are just moving the tandems the same distance from the end of the frame rails as the tractor. That's a great idea. I've converted a deuce cargo to a tractor and lopped off the extra frame, now I wished I had moved the axles back like you are doing. Post up a pic real soon. Excited.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, I see now. From the first post I thought you were matching the tractor wheelbase. In fact you are just moving the tandems the same distance from the end of the frame rails as the tractor. That's a great idea. I've converted a deuce cargo to a tractor and lopped off the extra frame, now I wished I had moved the axles back like you are doing. Post up a pic real soon. Excited.
Here is a picture of the truck.

Attachments

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I came up with a fifth wheel and ramps. If a tractor owner could measure between rap and thick plate bolted to 5th wheel it would help. I don't have exact measurements from data plates. I'm ready to pull something...!Thanks

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I came up with a fifth wheel and ramps. If a tractor owner could measure between rap and thick plate bolted to 5th wheel it would help. I don't have exact measurements from data plates. I'm ready to pull something...!Thanks
Had to move my truck 2 hrs away. I may go up there this weekend, if I do I will take pictures and measurements.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Think you need to change the name from converting to a m931 to converting to a m931a3

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur

I pulled the bed off my M923A2 today in preparation for changing out the FUBAR transfer case. This heat is whipping my tail so it is a slow go. Tomorrow I'll pull the spare tire rack and exhaust. I still haven't decided if I'm going to have a small bed behind the cab or not. If I do I have to decide whether to cut down the stock bed or build one from scratch. I hate to cut up a good dropside bed but finances dictate that I do this on the cheap.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks