• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929 Assistance Please

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 929 is working pretty good. Just a couple of observations. The thing has no power in 1-5 with any hill. It really struggles. In low range, it does just fine. It does fine in reverse and on more level ground. I noticed today while loaded and trying to go up hill off road that in high range 1-5 there was a loud hissing coming from under the truck when pressing the accelerator. Doesn't do it in low range.

Also, it is very difficult to change the transfer lever from high to low and the opposite. I can't do it with truck running. Have to shut it down every time and then it is still a chore. Any thoughts? What does the button on the lever do? Mine does't seem to do anything. We will be shifting in and out of low range pretty often.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When shifting the transfer case you are supposed to depress the button on the lever. I usually shift the transmission into neutral to change ranges. As for low power it could be a number of things. Fuel filter (or bad fuel if you are still running what was in it when you got it), transmission, injector pump. You will have to use the manual and trouble shoot it one system at a time.

C Big

The 929 is working pretty good. Just a couple of observations. The thing has no power in 1-5 with any hill. It really struggles. In low range, it does just fine. It does fine in reverse and on more level ground. I noticed today while loaded and trying to go up hill off road that in high range 1-5 there was a loud hissing coming from under the truck when pressing the accelerator. Doesn't do it in low range.

Also, it is very difficult to change the transfer lever from high to low and the opposite. I can't do it with truck running. Have to shut it down every time and then it is still a chore. Any thoughts? What does the button on the lever do? Mine does't seem to do anything. We will be shifting in and out of low range pretty often.

I went with a friend when he went to pick his truck up after winning it on GL. It started up just fine and when driving at slow speeds it did just fine. When we got out on the highway it just did not have the power I thought it should. The truck also would “stutter” when you were going uphill and let off the throttle quickly (just like it was not getting enough fuel). When we pulled over I opened the hood and had the driver gently accelerate and decelerate. I noted what could be described as whistling or almost hissing sound coming from the fuel pump. When I turned the electromagnetic screw in (holding the magnet open allowing full fuel flow) it was like it was a brand new truck with all the power it should have. That was my experience, I hope this helps spur an idea. Have you checked your fuel filter?

Sorry I can't help transfer lever

GHall

The transfer case shifts easier with no air in the system. There are a few threads about hard shifting transfer cases and what to do to make it easier.. Use google to search the forum.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am holding the button in, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I think I can move the lever with or without depressing the button. Is it more than just a mechanical lever? I ask because there are two wires that follow the lever through the floor of the truck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without driving your truck, it is hard for me to say with certainty what it could be. You would think these trucks would have more power, but military trucks are notoriously underpowered, with the exception of a few trucks (Freightliners, for one). I have owned two M936A2s. This would approximate how a cargo or dump would feel if fully loaded (the wrecker weighs like 36K pounds and a loaded dump would weigh about the same, depending upon the load). From a dead stop, the wrecker feels like it does not want to move. My two wreckers did finally start pulling, but not until the truck was doing about 3-4 MPH. They it would pull its a** off...well, as much as it could. The way the motor is set up in the military application, there is not a lot of power. I have heard that the fuel can be turned up, though, but you'd have more smoke. Still, it sounds like your truck is not running properly because, once the truck gets rolling, and the turbo gets spooled up, it should shift through all gears. On level ground, these trucks, even a wrecker, can do 65 MPH.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks GHall. I'm bad at searching, meaning the search words I use never result in anything. A lot of good information there. What I have learned, from reading those threads, and then trying my truck, is that I can move the transfer lever easy when the truck is not running and the air pressure low.

Bruce, my truck is not a turbo. It does fine on moderate hills say less than 15% slope. But over that and it really struggles in high range, even unloaded. This is off road on grass. No tire slippage. In low range, again having to shut truck down and then really working to get into low range, it will climb in 3rd without a problem. Have not tried on pavement yet. (as you predicted, I love the 929!)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knowing you :) , I am sure you serviced the truck. If I remember correctly, it was a rebuilt truck, too, so the fuel system should be fairly clean. A clogged fuel filter or a dirty fuel system would rob power. Still, it sounds like your truck should have more power. I wonder if you could get someone who knows what they are doing turn up the fuel a bit. I did not mention this previously, but the t-case is notoriously tough to shift. I have had a bit of luck shifting with the truck in neutral, but rolling. I don't believe the manual suggests that, but it might help. Also, make sure the linkage is properly adjusted. You'd probably have to consult the manuals for that.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did your truck have duals or singles? Converting to 1100X20 duals might increase your power a bit, too.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just started playing with my M929 and I noticed the transfer case shifts a lot easier if the truck rolls a little while you shift it.

Doomsday

I can relate on the power issue. I completely serviced my truck once I purchased it and it seemed to run quite better. My fuel filter was very bad. The filter was rusted all to **** as well as the canister. Some idiot had obviously got water in the system somehow I would assume. Truck runs great tho after about 100 gallons of fresh fuel, new filter and some heavy additives like Marvel Mystery Oil and some Power Service additives.
But think about this....our trucks weigh over 20,000lbs. These NHC 250 Cummins engines don't have a lot of horsepower to begin with and the torque isn't sky high either. Its trying to push around all that weight, turning a tire/wheel combo that weigh close to 300lbs a piece and with the gear ratio in say 4th and 5th, its not gonna pull a steep hill on a freeway very good. Mine pulls great up the Grapevine out here in California in 3rd gear and decently in 4th but levels out quite fast. Don't even think about maintaining good speed in 5th. I'm sure if you added more fuel, put a turbo on it and made sure you don't blow a head gasket or worse melt a piston, it could get it pretty good up a hill or pull a load exceptionally well but IMO, stock, don't expect a lot. Tooling around in low gears and climbing off-roading hills mine does great! That's what 6.44 gears are made for and they show it on the trails, muddy/snowy roads and moderate rock crawling....

Just my $.02 :)

Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks