• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 engine temp issue

F18hornetM

New to me M931 with inop temp gauge. I tested the gauge and wiring and they passed. After driving I used infra-red heat gun and measured temp at base of sending unit. Then measured resistance of sending unit and resistance was very close for 120 degrees F. So I figured maybe thermostat stuck open. So, picked up new thermostat and went to replace. Pulled thermostat housing off and found NO thermostat inside. I am kind of wondering what happened to it. I installed new thermostat and test drove and heats up to almost 180 on gauge. Just wondering if anyone else has came across trucks missing strange parts before. not easily removed. The bolts don't look like ever removed and had to break paint off hose clamps.

This trucks history baffles me a bit as it shows 500 miles on it and 30 hours. I don't know the year as not on the data plate. [early 80s guessing] I am not sure if it went through some partial overhaul or not. Tires are new, and bolts and nuts all over the truck are new. I am sure the ABS was added as its all new looking. Of all the trucks Ive seen this one looks like it was never or very little used. Truck drives great and it seems to like the M813 and the M35.

Now..to find a trailer for it;)

F18hornetM

I wonder what the thinking is behind pulling a thermostat and not replacing it. Maybe none in stock? Sure wont warm at all without one and the engine is designed to run at 180.
Thanks Djones, was wondering about that. Interesting it has 2 "sand" colored air brake lines on the trolley valve in the cab and a sand colored fresh air intake for the heat, everything else is green. The 5th wheel has no grease on it so not sure it was used..much! If some of these trucks could talk!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks