• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A2 Truck tire change

Rkrug

Found this truck on GL but it has a flat tire but other than that it is a nice truck, How hard is it to change a tire on one of these (and what size impact socket would you need?), Or if the tire just has a slow leak will the CTIS keep it aired up?
Thanks

Last edited:

wsucougarx

The CTIS may keep the tire up so long as the CTIS works. Another concern is how long was the tire flat and if the truck was driven around with a flat tire. If so, the side walls could be compromised and bad things can happen.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would change the tire if you have to drive very far. When changing the tire be sure to let all the air out first, then remove all the CTIS parts.
Careful the tire is very Heavy about 425lbs.

I picked up a m931A1 that had a flat tire and this is what the inside looked like.

Attachments

Rkrug

It comes with a spare so I will probably just change it. Did not know that they were that heavy!
Will have to bring a chain hoist, Is it very hard to remove and reinstall the CTIS system on the tire?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It comes with a spare so I will probably just change it. Did not know that they were that heavy!
Will have to bring a chain hoist, Is it very hard to remove and reinstall the CTIS system on the tire?
No it is not hard, just some bolts and hoses. Just remember were it all goes so you can put it back. Also be sure to remove the valve core in the spare when you put it on. If you do not the CTIS for that tire will not work and you will not be able to get air in or out of that tire.
Also on the CTIS valve do not loose the little O-Ring.
You may want to look at the TM for all the info.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure about that? I ask because I have 7 waiting in Glens yard. That nearly 3k lbs
I know they are heavier than 1100/20s for an 800 series truck. I had 9 of those mounted in my 3/4 ton p/u and it was a load, lots heavier than I figured it'd be.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure about that? I ask because I have 7 waiting in Glens yard. That nearly 3k lbs
I weighed the rim and bead lock and looked up what the tire weight was and it was about 413lbs total.
Very heavy to move around.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Is it very hard to remove and reinstall the CTIS system on the tire?
It is not hard to remove/install the CTIS but be aware some of the internal parts are made of brittle Unobtanium and prone to breakage......that's why in the Army it was not drivers echelon to change the tires.....they had to be changed by a mechanic that was certified (had been sent to a class) to work on them.

I just assisted a fellow member in recovering two trucks from Redstone and one of them had the 1400x20's on it. One of the tires was pretty flat and had been that way for a while.....the side of the tire was cracked but when we aired it enough to drive it onto the trailer the crack dissappeared.

If the tire has been flat to the point of where the rim is touching the ground my opinion is that the tire is FUBAR and should be replaced.

I know they are heavier than 1100/20s for an 800 series truck.
I picked up some of the 1400x20 super singles for a fellow member and they do weigh about 500 pounds each.......it was all my 40hp tractor front end loader could do to pick up two at a time.

I have replaced many of those tires. they do weight that much there should be a lift mounted to the truck. they are standard equipment to the trucks that ran that big of tire. take it slow and use a paint maker to help line things up. the 5 ton manual dose have the hole tire change procedure in it.

Yes I am doing bad but, only pick i can find of the tire hoist. far left of picture on 5 ton tractor

Last edited:

Rkrug

I know that the chain hoist is part of the standard equip list for the truck, but do the GL people take all the Equip from the tool boxes?

can't answer that but do know they are stripped by the unite most of the time to replace tools missing from other tool kits. If you have S.A.E. 3/8 and 1/2 inch socket set 1/4 bit driver and a couple pliers vise grips too. you would have more then the tool kit we had in the army.

Csm Davis

The chain hoist is rated for 500 lbs not real expensive to replace, and most BII is removed when the trucks are turned in, what sucks is at some rebuild points they pull all of it out when the trucks come in but if the trucks are sold before rebuild they don't put it back or sell it, they just junk it. :cookoo:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks