• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Boom Removal

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Trying to remove crane boom, have every thing off except for the main pivot pin at rear. Anyone know the secret to getting the pin out? Hopefully with out damaging it.
Hi Falcon,

So - removing the boom pin. Are you talking about the pin in the pictures below?

M936 Boom Pin - Driver Side.jpgM936 Boom Pin - Passenger Side.jpg

Guessing you already have it supported on both ends with sling of some sort? It should be as simple as driving it out with a brass punch. On the other hand - if the truck wasn't regularly greased there - there will be a "ridge" where the boom raised and lowered. Over time it digs a trough and you just can't get it aligned right to hammer the pin out. If you swat it with an 8 or 12 pound sledge and it doesn't move that may be your problem.

Depending on what you have to work with... Hopefully a pair of chain-falls (one on each side of the boom) supported by a gantry where you can raise in tiny increments you might be able to find that sweet spot.

Not on a 936, but other booms I have worked on: The pin was so worn that it was sawed between the "boss" and the "turret" with an air hacksaw. First time I did that, I was sure if I got one side free I could pound it out. Didn't happen. Ended up sawing it into 3 pieces, lifted the boom away and the pin tapped right out. Layed it on a steel table and there was about 3/16" wear on the hardened pin. Naturally the bushings were shot and also had to be replaced...

If I didn't hit the topic, let me know and I will share all I can.

A Seabee

Worked at a shop where we did a lot of boom overhauls. We rigged a jackhammer to a skid that had forklift holes. We’d raise it up to the work and drive the pins out with that set up. Just had to be careful not to mushroom the end of the pin f it’s not tapered. It’s also possible to get off kilter and gouge the pin bosses. soak it down with Kroil, and get a drift holder have your helper wear a face shield (you too) and hold the drift while you hammer away with the sledge. Finding the sweet spot as described above is also critical in getting them apart. And yes, if all else fails, saw it off. Good luck.

charlesmann

I rmvd the boom on the spare 936. I had to beat the hell out of the pin and deformed the grease fitting hole. it had not been greased regularly and the pin was heavily wore at the frame pivot bushed areas. the pin needs to be replaced, as does the frame bushes. it was NOT an easy task getting the pin out. 10 lb sledge and a steel cold rolled round bar just smaller than the pin and a LOT of beating, heating and oiling over 4 days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks