• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 New hydraulic hoses and a little paint on wrecker bed!

bigboy44

I am in the process of changing some of the hydraulic hoses and adding a little paint on the wrecker bed.

The hoses on the crane are a must change, they are about to blow. My cousin is a crane mechanic and he made the hoses for me for a few cases of beer[thumbzup]! What a deal.

I don't like the tan paint on the crane so I am going to paint it as close as I can to the rest of the truck. I am also removing the gondola top and repainting the gondola and the hydraulic tank.

I will keep everyone posted as I proceed.

Attachments

bigboy44

More Pics, please note they are not in order and in some of them I had a shutter problem.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

bigboy44

nf6x, brianrbull,

I have not seen one either ,but I have one. I do not plan on putting it back on for now, if I do I will take it apart and completely redo it. The bad part is if you trailer it, it is over the height limit unless you have a super low boy. It doesn't get that cold in south La and I don't plan on using the crane in the rain. I will hold on to it for a while until I decide what to do with it!

Thanks Warren:popcorn:

Csm Davis

Do you know if it came from Alaska? That is part of the Arctic kit for the 936 I have seen several but only on Alaska trucks. Will post some pics.

Last edited:

bigboy44

Jeff,

My records show it received in Hammond, La. on 4-18-85 with 107 miles on her, it was inspected on 4-24-84. There is almost one year and 107 miles that I cannot account for. I would call the base and ask Doug but I know he was not there at that time.

Warren

Csm Davis

Yes good buddy they are the same but unlike some would have use believe they were also on 816s and 936s what I think is odd is I have seen more on 936s than any other wreckers. But maybe I have just seen more Alaska 936 wreckers than any of the others. Which is odd living in south Mississippi but there's been a lot of Alaska trucks at RSMS on Camp Shelby.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I'd be happy to see even a soft gondola top on my new wrecker, but sadly, that's not one of the things it came with. It did come with all of the snatch blocks (OMFG those are heavy!) and an excess of tow bar feet, though. But no pins for the whiffletree. And no hazard light; I don't recall seeing those on any of the Barstow M936 trucks lately, so I wonder if they were eliminated from the BII for some reason?

bigboy44

More pics on paint project and hose changes. I am making some new blocks for the hydraulic lines, I need to cut them in half and drill the holes for the support brackets.

The floor in the gondola will be cut out and a new plate welded in, instead of drilling holes in the corners I think I am going to cut a 45 in each corner of the plate so the water will exit better(any thoughts). I also want to replace the operations plate on the dash, can someone tell me where to get one? I will call Jeff he may have one.

All the panels that go on the bed are primed top and bottom except the large one that covers the winch controls it is primed underneath only, hope to have it done today.

I also need the rubber that goes around the holes where the hydraulic lines pass through the gondola, I tried 2 truck parts stores but no luck. On the insulators between the hydraulic tank and the brackets I am going to use the rubber seal that goes under a garage door, that is all I could come up with.

Any help and info will be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
For the rubber that goes around the rectangular hole that the hoses pass through, McMaster-Carr might have it.

Edited to add: Try searching for "trim molding" there. I see stuff that looks similar to the stuff on my wreckers.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When i was in the UK - there was something like strip grommet, various cross section sizes, sold by the inch or foot, just fit to empty hole and cut to length, but I haven't seen anything here like that.

I have used old hyd return hose or fuel hose and slit lengthways, but that is not a "correct" replacement, but works ok.

bigboy44

I am back on the M936 I have replaced the hydraulic hoses to the crane and a few more 15 in total. i also have put a new floor in the gondola. I removed the hydraulic tank and primed it along with the gondola and replaced them. After filtering the oil back into the tank I started the truck and checked out the truck along with my cousin whom is a crane mechanic supervisor. One of the pumps is a little load for me but he said it is fine, some do that even after a rebuild.

I have not decided what to do as far as paint so some help is needed there. I also need some some input on flood lights, the frames are rusted through and all bulbls are burnt out. I would like to put new lights on the crane with toggle switches in the gondola as to isolate each one as needed.

Thanks for looking! Get well Jeff Davis2013-01-26 007.jpg2012-08-22 002.jpg2012-08-22 001.jpg2012-08-22 003.jpg2012-08-19 008.jpg2013-01-26 006.jpg2013-01-26 005.jpg2013-01-26 004.jpg2013-01-26 003.jpg

nf6x

Feral Engineer
You have been busy! Looking good!I wish that your cousin could listen to my hydraulic pump and hoist motor. They sound awfully loud to me, and I don't have enough crane experience to know whether I should be concerned. Despite the noise, my crane has been working well when I gave it some good exercise late last month.

bigboy44

Mark (NF6X),
My cousin told me that the load winding noise is not a problem, he said he could completly rebuild one and it still make the winding noise. As long as it doesn't sound like it is in a bind it is good to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks