• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 unavailable after winning

bigboy44

Talk about being P Oed. I won a M936 on 5-31 without a prior inspection, I went to Camp Shelby the following Tuesday to inspect the truck and to get a idea of what was needed for the pick up after EUC clears. I meet with Eric of GL and we start looking for the truck, after 2 hrs. looking he gives up no truck! Eric said he will call me tomorrow and let me know what is going on.
The following afternoon I get a call from Eric and he told me that he screwed up and took pictures of the wrong truck, the pictures were taken of a truck that belonged to another dept. and they took it. The truck that he should have taken pictures of was wrecked and he did not want to give me a wrecked truck and that GL would refund my money, I told him I didn't want a refund that I wanted a truck in as good of condition as the one he had in the pictures or even better! He said he boss would not let him do that it is too muck a pain in the butt.
I filed a claim with GL to get another truck, it takes about 3 weeks for them to make a decision but when u win a lot u have 3 days to get the money to them. This is my first bad dealing I have had with GL, I hope it is the last!
Has anyone else had a issue like this?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish you luck, but per GLs terms they are only obligated to refund your money.

GL has been using the wrong pictures for years. The only item that matters is the manifest and the inventory number listed on it.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are so many trucks at that location I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often.

Maybe they will make things right......if not you may get lucky and get a better truck for less money.

Have you talked to CSMDAVIS (Jeff)? He works with the folks out there a lot....maybe he can run interference for you.

He may even have a truck for sale.

bigboy44

Re M936

Thanks for your support Warthog and wreckerman!

I met Jeff while looking for the truck and I sent him a message on the delima but he has not responded yet!
When I filed the claim I put all the time and travel I done to win the bid and also I put that I bought the truck for my Dad which I did. He is an Ex Pow and a Purple Heart recieptian. He made 88 on June 1. He enjoys going to the bases with me and he also enjoys coming to look at the trucks and talk about old times.
I guess we will have to see what the outcome will be. With all the trucks available it should be easy for them to correct their mistake. The tax payers bought those trucks anyway.

LanceRobson

Warren, I'm sure they'll refund your money without an issue but I doubt they'll find you another truck. One of the things you agreed to when you signed up at GL was to inspect lots and to be sure the description matches the reality-what the Army used to call "ground truth". You also specifically agreed that they are not responsible for errors in a listing.

I feel your pain and I'd have blue smoke coming out of my ears and long blue flame coming from another orifice if it were my purchase but you likely should start shopping for another wrecker.

Lance

KsM715

Good luck, you'll probably get a refund on what you paid for the lot but I seriously doubt GL HQ in AZ will even think of getting anything for your gas and time to pick up the truck.

They will tell you "you should have previewed the lot before you bid" Its in their fine print.

rbeasley66

My M1009 was not at Camp Shelby when I arrived either. Due to many events that happen before I arrived, it was one of two that a local wrecker company picked up for a later trip to Kentucky, they towed mine off by mistake. 6 1/2 hours later it finally returned, but that made arriving back in Florida early in the morning after an all night drive. I was just thankful it wasn't on its way to Kentucky.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you read the fine print of the terms you agreed to, they aren't even obligated to give your money back. To summarize the terms it says " they do not guarantee the accuracy of the pics and you are obligated to take whatever you won". This is another reason why you really should inspect the lots you are bidding on before you bid unless you are willing to take the risk.

That being said, as a common curtsey they will usually refund the purchase price. I've never heard of anybody getting anything more.

M1075

I had a truck given to another bidder and was offered (and accepted) a reasonable substitute. It can happen, but not often.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he went to preview it, they might have just shown him the truck the pictures were of and he would still be in the same boat. 2cents

As with anything, buyer beware!!!!

Truckoholic

I have to agree that that is some pretty messed up crap! For them to take pictures of the WRONG truck, and post a description and everything, and let it go clear through the auction process and payment, just for it to turn out that the truck is not even there! I would be so aua :-x:deadhorse: :x aua

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have gone to pick up a MEP002A that I won and when I arrived another bidder had "accidentally" loaded an extra generator when he was there to pick up his win. :)

I showed up, and GL noticed the mistake and offered me another generator that had not been listed yet. It was in better shape and less hours, so I was more then happy to take it in exchange.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 5 ton flatbed was given to some one else at ????? a year or two ago so they let me pick out a replacement, so it does happen, but it was a trailer not a Wrecker!

KsM715

I have gone to pick up a MEP002A that I won and when I arrived another bidder had "accidentally" loaded an extra generator when he was there to pick up his win. :)

I showed up, and GL noticed the mistake and offered me another generator that had not been listed yet. It was in better shape and less hours, so I was more then happy to take it in exchange.
My 5 ton flatbed was given to some one else at ????? a year or two ago so they let me pick out a replacement, so it does happen, but it was a trailer not a Wrecker!

As a tax payer, both those situations, flat piss me off. Nobody should be "giving" away Gov. property. Just because it isn't listed yet does not mean its not on the books. If I founf my self in that situation I would askfor arefund and state exactly how I feel about it if I were offered something else. Do you really think GL is going to reimburse the Gov. for the loss?:rant:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not only that Jeff, but they are essentially condoning someone else "stealing" your property. That's exactly what it is, because once you win that lot and pay for it, whether or not it's been picked up yet, it now belongs to you unless Uncle says your EUC won't fly. A couple of years ago, the GL lot in Columbus (Creekside) gave away my lot of exhaust kits. They were selling in lots of 6, and one of the big dealers who will remain nameless had a truck there getting the lots they won, and mine got loaded on as well as the ones they won.

But, even after all of that, I did get my money back, AND got reimbursed for my travel expenses

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a tax payer, both those situations, flat piss me off. Nobody should be "giving" away Gov. property. Just because it isn't listed yet does not mean its not on the books. If I founf my self in that situation I would askfor arefund and state exactly how I feel about it if I were offered something else. Do you really think GL is going to reimburse the Gov. for the loss?:rant:
GL is going to recover the original property and re-auction it or they can press charges against the person who stole it in the first place if they refuse to return the item.

Other then not catching the thief before they left the gate, I fail to see why you're are mad at GL for replacing a stolen item with an equal item to cover the loss.

Danl

Danl M915A1

GL is working all the time on these sales they screw up offten how are they going to recover the stolen lot? by the time they figer out were it went The lot is sold off, why would they push charges on a dealer that dose nothing but drives up the prices for them, tax payer pay again, next time you bid on a lot dealer will be bidding to. nothing happened. If I stole a lot, being a one man low Price bidder, off to jail I go. bidding acount closed, why pissed off i wonder

KsM715

GL is going to recover the original property and re-auction it or they can press charges against the person who stole it in the first place if they refuse to return the item.

Do you know this for a fact? I've never seen anyone actually be able to pin down exactly what GL pays the GOV for this stuff, but I have a strong feeling its mere pennies on the dollar, so they are not out much when you compare it to what they would spend retrieving the items and doing it the right way. I've never heard any stories on here of this happening. I have heard of trucks getting shipped to the wrong person and getting returned, but never this smaller stuff. You really think that (in speddmons situation) they went after that dealer (who probably spends hundreds of thousands of dollars a year with them) for a few extra lots that they "accidentally" loaded on to their truck.

There are stories on here of members going to retrieve something only to find some smaller items (say batteries or filters on a genset) missing that were there in the pictures and the GL rep would just go over to another lot and take off the missing items and give them to the new owner. Do you think they do anything to try to retrieve those "stolen" items. No, thats just to much work. It all dependson the GL rep and what kind of mood he/she is in. Do they want to say "Sorry, you can refuse the lot and get a refund" earning them the A-hole moniker, or they can just go grab apart and give it away making them "awsome GL rep"

Most times doing the "right" thing makes you the A-hole and most people would rather not be known for that so they take the easy road.

Last edited:

Danl

Danl M915A1

Well being who I am if I picked up a lot , say a truck and there was a trailer hooked to the truck and inside the trailer there was parts and stuff I didn't pay for . and Gl rep waves me on and says you are all set ,see you later. I would ask him about the trailer, and if he said it was part of the lot I would be stupid and ask for a new receat, because its not mind if he gave me the paper work I would say thank you. what happen to the missing lot were is it why can't they get it back ?? somebobys got it and they know its not theres.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks