• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A2 Drag winch clutch

charlesmann

I know the A2 doesnt have an oem, free spool for the rear drag winch. Has anyone adapted some kind of clutch or freewheel unit?
I know some of ya’ll use an electric winch or maybe a smaller hyd winch to help pull the main line out. That is not what i want to do. Id like to either divorce the motor and put some kind of sliding coupling that will stay on say the motor while free spooling and slide onto/into the winch input. Or an actual sprag clutch.

Anyone tried something like this

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Biggest free spool I've seen is a 35k that @Mullaney has on his from TACOM.

You aren't going to be able to pull any hangs or overwraps out by hand on free spool. The rear 45ks are pretty quick on spool out. You can always put a more gpm pump and make it faster.

The bigger 55k winches use air brakes on them in the winch drum, not like what the 45ks have with their brake chamber so I wouldn't even venture in to guess what it would take to free spool a unit with 1inch cable. This is why they have the payout winch for carrying the cable.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If this is for you to be able to pay cable out by yourself then you can use a Bimba valve, a air solenoid, and a wireless winch remote. The bimba will kick the spool out handle to pay out cable using the wireless remote.

charlesmann

If this is for you to be able to pay cable out by yourself then you can use a Bimba valve, a air solenoid, and a wireless winch remote. The bimba will kick the spool out handle to pay out cable using the wireless remote.
Yes sir, it is to spool cable out by myself. I was thinking of the Lodar remote system too. I do agree, a pulling a kink (which I have) or overwrap is impossible. I had to pay some cable out on the drum, disengage the rear pto, drive forward and repeat 3 more times till i got the kink to the fairlead rollers, then i was able to have the wife pay the cable and drag about 50', then repeat several more times. I was mostly playing with he system, learning it, and dragged my inop 936 to the back of my pasture, out of sight, out of mind.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah a bimba valve would be your friend. A whole setup is under $200 for valve, solenoid, wireless remote.

charlesmann

Yeah a bimba valve would be your friend. A whole setup us under $200 for valve, solenoid, wireless remote.
I googled Bimba valve and not really sure where to start. I will email them and explain what I'm wanting to do, and the flow rate and psi rqrd and see what they recommend. I'm just not seeing where a wireless winch remote fits in to the system, other than remotely operate either the valve or solenoid. Wouldn't the solenoid to be 2 direction or is it the hyd valve needs to be dual, or both?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I googled Bimba valve and not really sure where to start. I will email them and explain what I'm wanting to do, and the flow rate and psi rqrd and see what they recommend. I'm just not seeing where a wireless winch remote fits in to the system, other than remotely operate either the valve or solenoid. Wouldn't the solenoid to be 2 direction or is it the hyd valve needs to be dual, or both?
No. A bimba is like a linear valve. The air solenoid is a standard unit like a shutterstat would use. Example below. There are better quality ones. You use the wireless winch remote to activate the solenoid. This sends Air to the bimba to engage it. Power off the solenoid closes, exhausts air and the valve restracts back. They are generally and off or on.

You need to know the stroke distance for when mounting, how far for off and on.

There are some double acting ones

Air valve

Standard bimba

The bimba can either retract or extend depending on what you want it to do and type.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bimba is a brand name air cylinder and pneumatics company. I think what Simp is referring to is a single acting cylinder with spring return.

You can look at them on McMaster here and there is some helpful information to get you going in the right direction. These may be a different brand but the site is easy to navigate and full of info and drawings. Single acting round body cylinders here.

Also single acting valves are available here along with the information on them. I only linked to 24 VDC options.

If you want double acting which would be air return instead of spring you can find that as well.

I don't know anything about the wireless control portion. Can't be too crazy.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Bimba is a brand name air cylinder and pneumatics company. I think what Simp is referring to is a single acting cylinder with spring return.

You can look at them on McMaster here and there is some helpful information to get you going in the right direction. These may be a different brand but the site is easy to navigate and full of info and drawings. Single acting round body cylinders here.

Also single acting valves are available here along with the information on them. I only linked to 24 VDC options.

If you want double acting which would be air return instead of spring you can find that as well.

I don't know anything about the wireless control portion. Can't be too crazy.
What i am referring to a spring type clevis cylinder for mounting to the handle on the rear winch control. I it a bimba cause that was the only company that made that type of small cylinder for a bit.

You can use the single acting directional control as i have done this on the front winches for wireless control.

On the rear. I think they are 7/8 port which aren't common to come by. I think I have all those numbers for those types of valves in the wrecker wishlist mod section where I laid out the wireless wrecker boom setup

I wouldn't go into the rear hydraulics as it's just too tight a fit to rearrange hoses etc for the solenoid and or a manifold. Compared to just holding up or down on a control handle to pay out cable

charlesmann

@simp5782 thanks for the info. ill start my research and when i get back from chile in a couple weeks, hopefully start gathering the stuff once i figure out where i can put the actuator/s and solenoid.

@NY Tom yes, mcmastercarr is a go to site for me on my sawmill build. they have just about anything i want if i want to pay what they ask for some of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks