• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 series 5 ton capacities

theboom

Hello all. I am new to this military truck game and I have a few questions about the 939 series 5 tons. I have briefly searched this forum for these answers but I could not find any clear cut numbers. I was wondering about their hauling capacities and towing capacities with both the cargo and tractor variants. Now we all know in actuality, they can move a whole lot more than they are rated for but for legal purposes I am just talking about the on paper ratings. Its common knowledge with these 5 tons that they can haul 10,000lbs off road and 20,000lbs on road in the bed, but what is the pintle and 5th wheel towing for both the cargo version and the tractor version for both on and off road? Is this also with the 10-20,000 (on/off road respectively) in the bed or are their tow ratings with nothing in the bed? What is their GVWR, GCWR, and GAWR? I am mainly interested in the ones with the big super single tires which I believe is the A1's and A2's (don't know the difference between the A1 and the A2 versions)? Don't know for sure on that though so I may need correcting.

I know it's is a lot of questions but I like to be informed.:beer:

Last edited:

sandcobra164

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?79228-TM-s-for-the-939-series-trucks The information you've requested is located in the second link from the top, TM9-2320-272-10.pdf The main differences between the A1 and A2 is the engine. A1's have a NHC-250 Cummins and the A2's have the 6CTA 8.3L Cummins. The A2's also have a Central Tire Inflation System that many people disconnect, flat bottom differentials, shackles on the top and bottom of the front bumper, longer bumperrettes on the rear, angled fuel filler necks and I'm sure a few more differences that I'm forgetting.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey theboom congrats on the 939 series, I dont know how new you are to Military trucks or not but if you dont have them I would highly suggest a set TMs for your truck, they have so much truly great info concerning 100 things you would have never thought of before and generally do an excellent job of getting you through the more common mundane tasks associated with owning these types of trucks. They are also available for reference on this site.
Good luck
Karl

Glenngineer

Hello all. I am new to this military truck game and I have a few questions about the 939 series 5 tons. I have briefly searched this forum for these answers but I could not find any clear cut numbers. I was wondering about their hauling capacities and towing capacities with both the cargo and tractor variants. Now we all know in actuality, they can move a whole lot more than they are rated for but for legal purposes I am just talking about the on paper ratings. Its common knowledge with these 5 tons that they can haul 10,000lbs off road and 20,000lbs on road in the bed, but what is the pintle and 5th wheel towing for both the cargo version and the tractor version for both on and off road? Is this also with the 10-20,000 (on/off road respectively) in the bed or are their tow ratings with nothing in the bed? What is their GVWR, GCWR, and GAWR? I am mainly interested in the ones with the big super single tires which I believe is the A1's and A2's (don't know the difference between the A1 and the A2 versions)? Don't know for sure on that though so I may need correcting.

I know it's is a lot of questions but I like to be informed.:beer:
Saw your old thread , I found a TM that states the on highway ratings

Attachments

ericp351

For what it is worth: I have hauled 8.3 to 8.9 tons gravel a few times in my A2 a few times. Part was a 6 % grade. breaks seamed safe, kept speed to 48 or less, and engine and trans stayed cool- 75 deg ambient. 20 miles loaded ea trip. Eric

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter

So it looks like around 48k max gross on 3 axles is about the magic number, with the exception of the wrecker at 51k. Matches up to what my brakes are telling me, at 48k don’t really notice much difference over empty. Above 48-50ish required pedal pressure increases quickly.

Glenngineer do you have an empty weight on your truck yet? Would also be curious to what your empty weight on your steer axle was.

Glenngineer

So it looks like around 48k max gross on 3 axles is about the magic number, with the exception of the wrecker at 51k. Matches up to what my brakes are telling me, at 48k don’t really notice much difference over empty. Above 48-50ish required pedal pressure increases quickly.

Glenngineer do you have an empty weight on your truck yet? Would also be curious to what your empty weight on your steer axle was.
No, I haven’t had a chance to scale it. Thinking it will be similar to a M929

Glenngineer

What revision is that? the more current versions of TM 9-2320-272-10 just show the lower weights of 15k pintle and 37.5k 5th wheel
Just found the TM scouring the internet for info .went as far as calling meritor rockwell and AM general for more info on the axles ,everyone was helpfull but had no specs anymore.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks