• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 with tac4

big block 88

Wonder how many of these were made and if any made the private side? Perhaps Tac4 can be adapted to 939 trucks...

i did a search and didnt see this on here yet.

I knkw these were test beds for the mtvr program before they found out they needed a clean sheet redesign.

Would love to know what engine and driveline they tried. It would be fun to make on of these as a project.

Attachments

sandcobra164

The finished product looks very similar! Not sure of the powertrain on the prototypes, they settled on a CAT C12, Allison transmission and a single speed transfer case. It's a beast of a truck.

big block 88

Mtvr 4x4 are pretty sharp too. Or the 8x8 pls. Or the wrecker or the tractor. You know what. How about just any of them. I never was lucky enough to drive one in the middle east, but man they were some fast trucks when we did travel with them. Some were c9 and some were c12 im pretty sure.

big block 88

Very nice swamp!!!

Whos gonna go measure an mtvr chassis at the suspension mounts? Perhaps the caimen axles with the tac4 kit still attached that are for sale all over would adapt?

big block 88

Interesting... has anyone ever heard them called mtvr1 and mtvr2? Buddy who is a marine claims there are 1s and 2s but he wasnt sure what the difference is

sandcobra164

I've never heard of a MTVR1 or MTVR2. All production trucks are 6X6, all cargos have dropside ISO beds and all variants are powered by a C12 engine.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mtvr 4x4 are pretty sharp too. Or the 8x8 pls. Or the wrecker or the tractor. You know what. How about just any of them. I never was lucky enough to drive one in the middle east, but man they were some fast trucks when we did travel with them. Some were c9 and some were c12 im pretty sure.
I am fairly sure the MTVRs had C12 Cats while the LVSRs had C15s.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to make an educated guess that the MTVRs in this thread are either MTVR1s or 2nd generation proof of concept with the new style suspension. The reason I say this is I came across a 5TTR, the 1st generation prototype, to overhaul the M939 series truck and some M809 trucks to extend their service life. The end result was unsatisfactory and the program ended leading to the start of the LMTV and MTVR programs using what was learned.

Now the one 5TTR I know of is #3 of 6 made before they abandoned the project for a new platform. It kept the 6CTA, suspension, and most body parts but they modified the hood like we see in this thread. They swapped the transmission, changed the intake system, supercharged the engine, and who knows what else. I have some photos and may find the rest one day. Until then remember this experiment was a failure but still neat to look at.

Attachments

chess

I had an MTVR back in 06 I bought it should have kept it. Non runner thought but most of it was there. But i like these 5 tons more

74M35A2

Looks like they run a front mount charge air cooler, Bosch P-pump, and exhaust brake. Also has the civilian spin on engine coolant filter. Engine is probably 300hp as a guess configured like that.

Blackmagic94

It’s at Yuma Proving Grounds. I will be hauling it to the local yard to have make ready performed on it due to it being historical and can get higher auction value. It has electronic diff locks as well on the dash

74M35A2

Solid conventional 5t axles with e-locker diffs. Wonder who made them, nice. Think if I called Rockwell they would tell me? That was a long time ago now, those people are likely retired.

Best set of luck on your sale. Thanks for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks