• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A1 NHC Turbo

Steve92307

Recently bought my first 6x6 and the guy I got it from put a turbo and intercooler on the truck. The truck seems to lack alot of power. The guy told me he didn't do anything else to it because he never got around to finishing it. Should I just take this thing off? Seems like its restricting the motor more than helping. The truck also has 53in tires. What do you all think?

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Recently bought my first 6x6 and the guy I got it from put a turbo and intercooler on the truck. The truck seems to lack alot of power. The guy told me he didn't do anything else to it because he never got around to finishing it. Should I just take this thing off? Seems like its restricting the motor more than helping. The truck also has 53in tires. What do you all think?
Those big tires have most likely affected the speedometer. Use your cell phone. There is a cool free app for Android and Apple called HUD. It is a heads-up display for speed. I have a big time with it occasionally on Amtrak just to see how fast we are going... It uses GPS and the readout is large enough to see with your phone laying on the seat beside you.

These trucks aren't going to blow your hair back on take off. The over sized tires make acceleration a little slower too - but they give you the "cool factor".

WELCOME to the group! Really Cool Truck!!

Steve92307

Those big tires have most likely affected the speedometer. Use your cell phone. There is a cool free app for Android and Apple called HUD. It is a heads-up display for speed. I have a big time with it occasionally on Amtrak just to see how fast we are going... It uses GPS and the readout is large enough to see with your phone laying on the seat beside you.

These trucks aren't going to blow your hair back on take off. The over sized tires make acceleration a little slower too - but they give you the "cool factor".
I'm familiar with the gps apps. I used it on the way home after buying the truck. I'm just wondering if this turbo is even doing anything at all? It has a boost guage on the truck but never goes above 1psi. The guy told me that the turbo is 100mm race turbo. Plus the EGTs get high really quick. I dont wanna melt the pistons.

Steve92307

Thats a nice cooler, but it isn’t doing much there. Is it wide enough to go where it belongs?
This truck didn't come with a turbo, so there is no place to put the intercooler. If there were about 4 more inches in front of the radiator it would fit perfectly.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Should I even bother to try and get it to work properly? Or will I have to spend a bunch of money trying to upgrade other components?
Drill the metal ball out from the throttle shaft and turn the screw counter clockwise

Steve92307

It increases rail pressure. You can put a gauge on it to monitor rail pressure at the fuel solenoid.
Ok, I take it you have done this before? I was thinking about louvering or putting a scoop in the hood above the intercooler. Do you think that will help?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok, I take it you have done this before? I was thinking about louvering or putting a scoop in the hood above the intercooler. Do you think that will help?
Probably. I have the radiator intercooler setup for the M939s. Ive done lots of mods to the small cam motors and driven one all over the country a few dozen times

Steve92307

Probably. I have the radiator intercooler setup for the M939s. Ive done lots of mods to the small cam motors and driven one all over the country a few dozen times
Ok, I'll try those things out. How far should I go with the screw? 1/4, 1/2 turn? What pressures should I be looking for or what should I not go above? And will any fuel pressure guage work?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You may have to swap the fuel button. Those are easy as well. Just order your button.before hand

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an NH250 in an M818 that the previous owner added a turbo to but made no other fuel changes. The truck also has 16.00R20s (53's).

Take off acceleration is no worse than a nonturbo truck on 11.00's, and it pulls the hills at speed even with a load (50k GVW) without downshifting.

EGTs remain well within acceptable limits, even when I tried to deliberately lug it. (As an assessment to see what the safety margin was)

With this in mind, I'm thinking something is up with yours.

Wes is highly knowledgeable. Following his advise/instructions should get you the desired results.

Steve92307

I have an NH250 in an M818 that the previous owner added a turbo to but made no other fuel changes. The truck also has 16.00R20s (53's).

Take off acceleration is no worse than a nonturbo truck on 11.00's, and it pulls the hills at speed even with a load (50k GVW) without downshifting.

EGTs remain well within acceptable limits, even when I tried to deliberately lug it. (As an assessment to see what the safety margin was)

With this in mind, I'm thinking something is up with yours.

Wes is highly knowledgeable. Following his advise/instructions should get you the desired results.
I'm def gonna take his advice. I'm seeing pretty high EGTs and zero smoke coming from the stack, so I'm gonna follow his advice as well as fabbing up an air scoop for the intercooler and see if that may help out as well. I want to get some small tires, the ones I have are 20inches wide so they rub in front and a little in the back. I have the 24r21 tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks