• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M977 radiator removal

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I am getting closer to getting this done before the snow starts flying and in going through the TMs on this procedure there are a couple things I had questions on, one was the weight of the empty radiator and NDT and I both came up with the 350 pound estimate, if anybody knows for sure please feel free to speak up? The next and last question I have and I am guessing its a pretty dumb question and I should already know the answer, but I dont. The two lines from the transmission that need to be disconnected from the bottom of the radiator are they used to move coolant to the transmission or do they move trans oil from the transmission to and through the trans cooler in the radiator? If these lines are full of transmission oil how do I contain that when I pull the radiator out of the truck?

Last question and if its a dumb one I apologize, the TMs said nothing!!
Thanks much guys
Karl

Gunzy

The trans lines will have trans oil in them. I would disconnect them first and use catch pans then find some plastic caps to put on them to keep anything from getting in there. As for removing the radiator a crane is the easiest way if you have access to any or another M977/985 works well as well as an M936 wrecker.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Gunzy its great to hear from you, is the mustang officially on the road yet? Thanks much for this info Gunzy, I knew it had to be either coolant or trans oil in those lines. I am going to pull the truck into my shop and use a chain hoist to lift the radiator out of the truck, after I get all the baffleing and shrouding out of the way I think it should go fairly quickly but of course its in the end going to be very time consuming and expensive, why should THAT ever change Gunzy? Take care and I do need to get moving on this project pretty fast, I was mowing this evening and had to wear a coat and gloves, YUCK!!!

Karl

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks much Coffey and I wish I had an SEE to accomplish this job with, it looks like I will drive it into my shop and use a chain hoist from a steel rafter and lift it out and re install it with that. I think an SEE would be MUCH BETTER Coffey!
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks